1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An expansion/interval of convergence problem

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function f(x) = |x| is not differentiable at x = 0, so computing a Taylor Expansion of this function just isn't possible by taking derivatives of |x|. Through the use of clever substitution, you can still obtain the polynomial expansion of this function to be:

f(x) = |x| = 1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3

for a certain interval of convergence. Establish this formula and the interval of convergence.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I went about solving this by expanding sqrt(1-x) and plugging in (-x^2 + 1) for x. This gave me the expansion:

1 - (1/2(1-x^2) - (1/8)(1 - x^2)^2 - (1/16)(1-x^2)^3

This is not the given expansion but I graph it and it is a better approximation than the given expansion.

In order to find the interval of convergence I differentiated sqrt(1-x) and notice that its derivatives all have singularities at x = 1. Does this mean that the interval of convergence for the absolute value function I found is (-1, 1).? Also, I like my expansion better, but does anyone know how to find the given expansion?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    Bob Busby Hi !

I don't nearly understand where you got this:

f(x) = |x| = 1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3

it doesn't seem strange to you? :)

1 - (1/2)(1-x^2) - (1/24)(1-x^2)^2 - (13/246)(1-x^2)^3 <-- this does not equals |x|, try to plot it on a graph, and in no way behaves like the function "absolute value of x" (|x|) they are both even functions that's it.

May be you can simulate |x| by sqrt(x^2) but i don't think you can write it in a closed form as a Taylor expansion.

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Try expanding sqrt(x^2) about x=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook