An Explanation of the Effective Area of Isotropic Antenna

In summary: Thus, a larger effective aperture area is not required to gather the radiation. In summary, the equation A_{eff} = \frac{\lambda^2}{4\pi} relates the effective area of an antenna to the frequency at which the radiation is captured. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is due to the fact that the frequency refers to the bandwidth of the filter rather than the absolute frequency.
Puma24
Hey all,

I realize a question on this topic has been asked elsewhere, but the links to references they use seem to be dead, so I'll press on!

I'm reading some introduction to antenna theory and I've often puzzled on the equation:

[itex]A_{eff} = \frac{\lambda^2}{4\pi}[/itex]

which relates the effective area by which an antenna captures radiation to the frequency at which that radiation is.

I have looked at the derivation here:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...86160?newreg=76f46a9e027440ae964582feb289a289

and can understand the steps they take, but when trying to understand it on a higher level, I cannot reconcile it.

Going on the example used in the derivation above, I would assume that as the frequency that is selected to pass through the filter increases, the resistor would begin to give off more power, in line with Johnson-Nyquist Noise:

[itex]dP = k_{b}Td\nu[/itex]

This would mean, in order to keep thermal equilibrium, that the antenna on the other end would have to be more receptive to the blackbody radiation that the cavity would give off. So, I would assume, that would mean a larger Effective Aperture Area would be required in order to gather it.

But this seems to contradict the result, which says that higher frequencies need a smaller area.

Can anyone help me out and point out the flaws in my assumptions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Puma24 said:
Hey all,

I realize a question on this topic has been asked elsewhere, but the links to references they use seem to be dead, so I'll press on!

I'm reading some introduction to antenna theory and I've often puzzled on the equation:

[itex]A_{eff} = \frac{\lambda^2}{4\pi}[/itex]

which relates the effective area by which an antenna captures radiation to the frequency at which that radiation is.

I have looked at the derivation here:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...86160?newreg=76f46a9e027440ae964582feb289a289

and can understand the steps they take, but when trying to understand it on a higher level, I cannot reconcile it.

Going on the example used in the derivation above, I would assume that as the frequency that is selected to pass through the filter increases, the resistor would begin to give off more power, in line with Johnson-Nyquist Noise:

[itex]dP = k_{b}Td\nu[/itex]

This would mean, in order to keep thermal equilibrium, that the antenna on the other end would have to be more receptive to the blackbody radiation that the cavity would give off. So, I would assume, that would mean a larger Effective Aperture Area would be required in order to gather it.

But this seems to contradict the result, which says that higher frequencies need a smaller area.

Can anyone help me out and point out the flaws in my assumptions?

Thanks
The frequency refers to the bandwidth of the filter, not to the absolute frequency. When the filter bandwidth is increased, more noise power can flow in both directions, maintaining the equilibrium.

1. What is an isotropic antenna?

An isotropic antenna is a theoretical antenna that radiates energy equally in all directions. It is used as a reference antenna for measuring the gain and directivity of other antennas.

2. How is the effective area of an isotropic antenna calculated?

The effective area of an isotropic antenna can be calculated by dividing the power received by the antenna by the power density of the incoming electromagnetic wave.

3. What is the importance of the effective area of an isotropic antenna?

The effective area of an isotropic antenna is important because it represents the amount of power that can be received by the antenna from an incoming electromagnetic wave. It is a key factor in determining the overall performance of an antenna.

4. What factors affect the effective area of an isotropic antenna?

The effective area of an isotropic antenna can be affected by the frequency of the incoming electromagnetic wave, the physical size of the antenna, and the impedance of the antenna.

5. How is the effective area of an isotropic antenna used in practical applications?

The effective area of an isotropic antenna is often used as a reference to compare the performance of other antennas. It is also used in calculations for determining the power received by an antenna in various communication systems.