1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral and function inequality proof

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f be a function such that |f(u)-f(v)|[tex]\le|u-v|[/tex] for all u and v in an interval [a,b]. Assume that f is integrable on [a,b]. Prove that

|[tex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/tex] - (b-a)f(a)|[tex]\leq\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}[/tex]

That's the absolute value of the difference of the integral of f(x) from a to b and (b-a)f(a). The subtraction and absolute value signs aren't quite coming out right, but it should be good enough to interpret.

Once I prove this, I have to prove the more general statement that for any c in [a,b],

|[tex]\int_a^bf(x)dx[/tex] - (b-a)f(c)|[tex]\leq\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Standard integration formulas. I might be able to throw the triangle equality somewhere to break up those absolute value differences.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've realized that the given information implies that |m|[tex]\leq1[/tex] because
    m = [tex]\frac{|f(u)-f(v)|}{|u-v|}[/tex] and |u-v| is less than or equal to |f(u)-f(v)|.

[tex]\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}[/tex] also looks like the formula for a triangle that has a height equal to its base length. So I think that if the slope were 1, then the integral would be equal to the area of the triangle. If the slope is less than 1, then I think the integral is less than the area of the triangle, because it won't reach the same height at point b that the triangle will reach. Using this, I started working with f(x) = (1)x + c, where c is the y intercept (I used c instead of b to avoid confusion). This hasn't gotten me very far, though, and I'm having trouble putting the logic into precise enough mathematical language to call it a proof. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, let's say we have [itex]f(x)[/itex], and [itex][a,b][/itex] as described. If you can you find (nice) functions that are upper and lower bounds for [itex]f(x)[/itex], then you might be able to use those instead of this nebulous [itex]f(x)[/itex].

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    I've noticed now that (b-a)f(a) removes the area under the rectangle generated from 0 to the y-intercept from a to b. Can I then rewrite the integral - (b-a)f(a) as just the integral of the function without a y-intercept; namely, as [tex]\int_a^b(mx)dx[/tex]?

Then I get that [tex]\frac{(b^{2}-a^{2)}}{2}[/tex][tex]\leq\frac{(b-a)^{2}}{2}[/tex].

I'm not sure if this is the right way to go, though.

From here it follows that [tex]{(b+a)}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]{(b-a)}[/tex], which isn't always true, so I seem to have either made a mistake or gone down the completely wrong path.

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd try to attack this problem with:
    [tex]f(a)-(x-a) \leq f(x) \leq f(a)+(x-a)[/tex]
    [tex]\int f(a)-(x-a) dx \leq \int f(x) dx \leq \int f(a)+(x-a) dx[/tex]

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5
    Thank you for your help. I managed to solve it by starting with the given information and integrating that to work toward the statement I wanted to prove.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?