1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral arising from the inverse Fourier transform

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a physics problem I must take the inverse Fourier transform of 2 functions.
    Namely I must compute the integral ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty} ^\infty [A\cos (ckt)+B\sin (ckt)]e^{ikx}dk##.

2. Relevant equations
    Already given.
    i is the complex number. t is greater or equal to 0. In fact it could also be negative, there should be no problem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I tried to tackle ##\int _{-\infty} ^\infty \cos (ckt)e^{ikx}dk## first but ran out of ideas.
    Integration by parts does not look promising. Probably some substitution I guess but I don't see it. Any tip would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look into the integral representation of the Dirac delta function.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi and thanks for the tip vela. I have it under the eyes (http://dlmf.nist.gov/1.17), but I don't see how this can help.
    Edit: I rewrote ##A\cos (ckt)+B\sin (ckt)## as ##Ae^{ickt}+Be^{-ickt}## which makes the integral diverge.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The integrals don't converge in the normal sense, but you can use 1.17.12 to recognize the appearance of the delta function.

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you don't find that approach satisfying, you can try throwing in a convergence factor and then taking a limit:
    $$\lim_{\lambda \to 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \cos (ckt) e^{ikx} e^{-\lambda |k|}\,dk$$ You have to be a bit careful when taking the limit so that you end up with the delta functions.

7. Nov 24, 2012 #6

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks a lot! It does satisfy me. So the answer would be ##A\delta (ct+x)+B\delta (ct-x)## where A and B are not necessarily the constants I started with.
    I hope it's right.

8. Nov 24, 2012 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I just found out the solution to the problem. Apparently A and B depend on k (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WaveEquation1-Dimensional.html), I missed this. The answer should be f(x-ct)+f(x+ct) instead of the delta. f could be any function twice differentiable I think, thus the delta is a possibility.
    P.S.:I made a typo in my previous post. The argument of the second delta should be "x-ct".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook