An interesting mathematical property

In summary, the conversation discusses a property called the collapsing sum, which involves expressing a number as a sum of differences between smaller numbers. This can also be referred to as a telescoping series. The original equation given demonstrates this property in a simple example.
jaquecusto
3^3 = [3^3 - 3^2] +[3^2 - 3^1] + [3^1 - 3^0] + 3^0

Practical Demonstration:

27 = [27-9] + [9-3] + [3-1] + 1

27 = 18 +6+2+1

27 = 27

Is this property discussed in theory of games?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. What does this have to do with game theory?

I'm not sure how this has anything to do with game theory, but what you just found is what's called the collapsing sum.

gb7nash said:
I'm not sure how this has anything to do with game theory, but what you just found is what's called the collapsing sum.
What is that, exactly? I'm unclear on what the "interesting property" is. Obviously you can express any number as a sum of differences between a series of smaller numbers. I tried googling "collapsing sum" but found nothing helpful.

pmsrw3 said:
What is that, exactly? I'm unclear on what the "interesting property" is. Obviously you can express any number as a sum of differences between a series of smaller numbers. I tried googling "collapsing sum" but found nothing helpful.

I think he means a telescoping series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescoping_series of which the OP gave a (trivial) example.

What is an interesting mathematical property?

An interesting mathematical property is a unique characteristic or relationship found within numbers, equations, or geometric shapes that can be studied and explored using mathematical principles and techniques.

Why are mathematical properties important?

Mathematical properties are important because they help us understand and make sense of the world around us. They allow us to model and solve real-world problems, and they play a vital role in fields such as science, engineering, and technology.

What are some examples of interesting mathematical properties?

There are many interesting mathematical properties, some of which include the Pythagorean theorem, the golden ratio, prime numbers, and fractals. These properties have been studied and explored for centuries and continue to fascinate mathematicians today.

How are mathematical properties discovered?

Mathematical properties are often discovered through observation and experimentation. Mathematicians may notice patterns or relationships between numbers or shapes and then use mathematical reasoning to prove and understand these properties.

How are mathematical properties used in real life?

Mathematical properties have numerous real-life applications. They are used in fields such as finance, engineering, and cryptography. For example, the properties of prime numbers are utilized in encryption methods to secure sensitive information.