Can this PDE be solved using parametric functions?

As for verifying the boundary conditions, we have:u(x,0)=s(1)=s, which is equal to our parametric solution for u(s,t). Therefore, the parametric solution satisfies the original PDE and boundary conditions.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In the HW section, someone proposed:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0;\quad u(x,0)=x[/tex]

As per "Basic PDEs" by Bleecker and Csordas", treating this as:

[tex]F(x,y,u,p,q)=0\quad\text{with}\quad \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=p\quad\text{and}\quad\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=q[/tex]

and solving for parametric functions as a function of two variables t and s such that:

[tex]\frac{dx(s,t)}{dt}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy(s,t)}{dt}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du(s,t)}{dt}=p\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}+q\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}[/tex]

Solving the ODEs subject to boundary conditions:

[tex]u(x,0)=u(f(s),g(s))=s [/tex]

yields:

[tex]x(s,t)=s^2t[/tex]

[tex]y(s,t)=t[/tex]

[tex]u(s,t)=s[/tex]

Solving for u:

[tex]u(x,y)=\pm\sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}[/tex]

To what extent can I rely upon this method to solve more complex non-linear PDEs? Guess that would involve some analysis of sorts limited by the ability to affect some integration or another. Some limitations I can think of include:

1. I just glossed-over the need sometimes to solve a set of 5 equations instead of the simpler 3 sets like above. Seems though should be able to numerically integrate the 5 equations (or 3) no matter how complex and thus arrive at least in principle to a parametric solution described above.

2. u(x,y) cannot allways be determined explicitly in terms of x and y although the parametric forms are equally valid albeit a bit more difficult to manipulate. Suppose I can work on them a bit but I mean, that could take a whole semester to fully analyze:

[tex]F(x,y,u,p,q)=0[/tex]

Probably been done already anyway. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry,
[tex] u = \pm \sqrt{ \frac{x}{y}} [/tex]
isn't a solution to
[tex] u^2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} =0, \:
u(x,0)=x. [/tex]

the problem is in the u(x,0)=x part.
how's about:
[tex] u = \frac{-1 + \sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y} [/tex]

qbert said:
sorry,
[tex] u = \pm \sqrt{ \frac{x}{y}} [/tex]
isn't a solution to
[tex] u^2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} =0, \:
u(x,0)=x. [/tex]

the problem is in the u(x,0)=x part.
how's about:
[tex] u = \frac{-1 + \sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y} [/tex]

Good for you Qbert. Yea, I thought about not meeting the initial conditions last night. Problem lies in:

[tex]\frac{dx(s,t)}{dt}=u^2=s^2;\quad x(s,0)=s[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]x(s,t)=s^2t+s[/tex]

and solving for u(x,y):

[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y}[/tex]

However, the negative one does not converge to u(x,0)=x but the positive one does.

Dang it! I hate when that happens. :yuck: And I'm not surprised you detected it. Thanks! Guess I gotta' go and update the one in the HW section now. :rolleyes:

saltydog said:
[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y}[/tex]

However, the negative one does not converge to u(x,0)=x but the positive one does.

Alright, suppose I glossed-over something again. This:

[tex]\mathop\lim\limits_{y\to 0}\left(\frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y}\right)=x[/tex]

Well, it's not obvious to me anyway. .

Anyway, since they both go to zero, I can justify using . . . wait, let me look up the spelling . . . L'Hopital's rule. That give me:

[tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+4xy}}[/tex] which then goes to x as y goes to zero.

I have a question:

So for:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0;\quad u(x,0)=x[/tex]

we got the solution in parametric form:

[tex]x(s,t)=s^2t+s[/tex]

[tex]y(s,t)=t[/tex]

[tex]u(s,t)=s[/tex]

Now suppose I couldn't solve for u explicitly in terms of x and y and just had the parametric equations above.

I don't know how to algebraically verify the solution using only the parametric equations. Can someone show me or should I know this one too?

Thanks,
Salty

Alright I think I have it thanks to . . . well something else I worked on in the forum:

So we have:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0[/tex]

with:

[tex]x=s^2t+s[/tex]

[tex]y=t[/tex]

[tex]u=s[/tex]

so, let's start calculating partials:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+
\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(2st+1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+
\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=s^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

thus:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{1}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-\frac{s^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/tex]

Substituting these into the original PDE:

[tex]\frac{u^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-\frac{s^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=0[/tex]

Now, since u=s, the two partials with respect to s cancel leaving us with:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/tex]

but since u=s, that partial is zero, thus satisfying the relation.

Last edited:

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is studying PDEs important?

PDEs are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems in various fields. They are also essential in the development of new technologies and advancements in science.

3. What makes "An interesting PDE perhaps?" unique?

"An interesting PDE perhaps?" is a phrase coined by mathematician Terence Tao to describe a PDE that has an unusual or unexpected solution. It is often used as a challenge for mathematicians to explore and solve difficult PDEs.

4. How are PDEs solved?

PDEs can be solved through various techniques, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of characteristics. In some cases, numerical methods are also used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs have a wide range of applications, including fluid dynamics, heat transfer, wave propagation, and population dynamics. They are also used in financial mathematics, image and signal processing, and many other fields.