Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An interesting PDE perhaps?

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the HW section, someone proposed:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0;\quad u(x,0)=x[/tex]

As per "Basic PDEs" by Bleecker and Csordas", treating this as:

[tex]F(x,y,u,p,q)=0\quad\text{with}\quad \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=p\quad\text{and}\quad\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=q[/tex]

and solving for parametric functions as a function of two variables t and s such that:

[tex]\frac{dx(s,t)}{dt}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy(s,t)}{dt}=\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{du(s,t)}{dt}=p\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}+q\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}[/tex]

Solving the ODEs subject to boundary conditions:

[tex]u(x,0)=u(f(s),g(s))=s [/tex]

Solving for u:

To what extent can I rely upon this method to solve more complex non-linear PDEs? Guess that would involve some analysis of sorts limited by the ability to affect some integration or another. Some limitations I can think of include:

1. I just glossed-over the need sometimes to solve a set of 5 equations instead of the simpler 3 sets like above. Seems though should be able to numerically integrate the 5 equations (or 3) no matter how complex and thus arrive at least in principle to a parametric solution described above.

2. u(x,y) cannot allways be determined explicitly in terms of x and y although the parametric forms are equally valid albeit a bit more difficult to manipulate. Suppose I can work on them a bit but I mean, that could take a whole semester to fully analyze:

Probably been done already anyway. :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2
    [tex] u = \pm \sqrt{ \frac{x}{y}} [/tex]
    isn't a solution to
    [tex] u^2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} =0, \:
    u(x,0)=x. [/tex]

the problem is in the u(x,0)=x part.
    how's about:
    [tex] u = \frac{-1 + \sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y} [/tex]
  4. Oct 5, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good for you Qbert. Yea, I thought about not meeting the initial conditions last night. Problem lies in:

[tex]\frac{dx(s,t)}{dt}=u^2=s^2;\quad x(s,0)=s[/tex]

and solving for u(x,y):

However, the negative one does not converge to u(x,0)=x but the positive one does.

Dang it! I hate when that happens. :yuck: And I'm not surprised you detected it. Thanks! Guess I gotta' go and update the one in the HW section now. :rolleyes:
  5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright, suppose I glossed-over something again. This:

[tex]\mathop\lim\limits_{y\to 0}\left(\frac{-1+\sqrt{1+4xy}}{2y}\right)=x[/tex]

Well, it's not obvious to me anyway. :surprised .

Anyway, since they both go to zero, I can justify using . . . wait, let me look up the spelling . . . L'Hopital's rule. That give me:

[tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+4xy}}[/tex] which then goes to x as y goes to zero.
  6. Oct 5, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a question:

So for:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0;\quad u(x,0)=x[/tex]

we got the solution in parametric form:

Now suppose I couldn't solve for u explicitly in terms of x and y and just had the parametric equations above.

I don't know how to algebraically verify the solution using only the parametric equations. Can someone show me or should I know this one too?

7. Oct 6, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright I think I have it thanks to . . . well something else I worked on in the forum:

So we have:

[tex]u^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0[/tex]

so, lets start calculating partials:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}(2st+1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}+
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}=s^2\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{1}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-\frac{s^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}[/tex]

Substituting these into the original PDE:

[tex]\frac{u^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}-\frac{s^2}{2st+1}\frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=0[/tex]

Now, since u=s, the two partials with respect to s cancel leaving us with:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=0[/tex]

but since u=s, that partial is zero, thus satisfying the relation.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?