1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An introductory book on general relativity

1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    hi fellas,

I want my undergrad thesis on general relativity. I need a good book on einstein field equations and its exact solutions to work with. also a book where are some solved problems and some exercises to guide me to right track
    any suggestions ?
    regards

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    General Relativity by hobson, efstathiou and lasenby. It is clear but not too simple. Well explained and there is some exercise for each chapter.

5. Aug 30, 2014 #4
    Hartle
    Carroll
    Schutz
    Dirac (very small book)
    Zee

Problem Book in Relativity and Gravitation by A. Lightman

6. Aug 30, 2014 #5
    I agree with the Hartle suggestion- I think it's by far the best introductory book on GR (especially for an undergrad). If you want a bit more math maybe go with Schutz, but even then you should look into Hartle.

Also, you might enjoy these lectures (I haven't watched them myself but I assume they're ok- the SR ones were pretty good, and also quite gentle): http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/general-relativity/2012/fall

7. Aug 30, 2014 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

8. Aug 31, 2014 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I once learnt GR from Landau/Lifshitz vol. II. It also provides the necessary math of tensor calculus in pseudo-Riemannian spacetime (in the good old Ricci calculus; later you can learn the more refined modern ways via differential forms).

Another very good book is Gravitation and Cosmology by S. Weinberg. For the cosmology, however you should read his more modern treatment from 2008.

9. Aug 31, 2014 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would strongly suggest starting with Wheeler and Taylor's book on black holes (very pedagogical and friendly) and Hartle, as starting points. After you have digested these two you can move on to the more advanced books suggested in the other replies.

10. Sep 2, 2014 #9
  11. Sep 2, 2014 #10
  12. Sep 2, 2014 #11

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

13. Sep 3, 2014 #12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted