Should I Prioritize My Education or Pursue Inventions During My Spare Time?

• Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the person asking for advice is a college freshman studying EE with a passion for creativity and invention. They are currently struggling with whether to focus on their education or continue pursuing independent research in their spare time. They are seeking advice on whether they should put their ideas "on the back burner" until after finishing their education or continue actively pursuing them alongside their studies. The response suggests that actively pursuing interests outside of the classroom is important for success as a scientist and suggests joining an engineering student group or starting one if the school does not have one.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hi, I am a college freshman studying EE. I'm very creative and artistic. I intend to be a research scientist after I finish my education and pursue the art of being an inventor.
My dilemma is what to focus on in my spare time.

At this time I am doing a lot of independent research on ideas that I believe have potential in the real world. However, since many of them are cutting-edge technology, pretty much all significant progress must be done in a laboratory with laboratory funding... (opposed to at home in my spare time with personal funds).

I do agree that my education is a priority and everything else is secondary. However, being the nature of an inventor, the whole idea of successfully constructing something new "before someone else beats you to it" attitude has produced a dilemma. I want to actively pursue independent research along side my education as to make progress and feel that I am not "sitting back and watch other people get credit for concepts I've already conceived"...

I'm asking for your opinion an whither or not I should put 'pursuing my ideas on the back burner' until after I finish my education, or if I should focus singly on my education and potentially let other scientists accomplish my dreams before I can.

Regards,

-Tay

Physics news on Phys.org
I think one of the keys to being a successful scientist is pursuing your interests beyond the classroom. There are a lot of peopl who do very well in a "lecture and test" paradigm, but then don't have the independence to generate their own ideas and end up not being very successful as researchers.

Something you might want to look into is getting involved in an engineering student group on your campus. These groups will pursue solar car racing, robotics competitions, etc. These activities will give you the opportunity to see how ideas go from a rough sketch to physical production and keep you in contact with like-minded people and will often compliment your studies. You might even get an opportunity to patent some ideas.

If your school doesn't have something like this, you might want to consider starting one up.

I understand your desire to pursue your ideas and inventions while also focusing on your education. However, it is important to prioritize your education at this stage in your career. Your education will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge to bring your ideas to fruition in a more efficient and effective manner.

Additionally, conducting independent research and pursuing inventions can be a time-consuming and costly endeavor. It may be more beneficial to wait until you have access to laboratory resources and funding through your education and future career as a research scientist. This will allow you to fully develop and test your ideas in a professional setting.

That being said, it is also important to continue nurturing your creativity and artistic side. You can do this by staying up to date on current research and developments in your field, attending conferences and workshops, and collaborating with other inventors and scientists. This will keep your ideas fresh and allow you to continue developing them while also focusing on your education.

In short, while it may be tempting to pursue your inventions in your spare time, it is important to prioritize your education at this stage in your career. This will provide you with the necessary foundation and resources to bring your ideas to life in a more effective and successful manner. Keep nurturing your creativity and stay engaged in your field, and your time to fully pursue your inventions will come.

1. What is an inventor's spare time?

An inventor's spare time refers to the time that an inventor spends outside of their usual work hours on creating, tinkering, or experimenting with new ideas, inventions, or projects.

2. Why is an inventor's spare time important?

An inventor's spare time is important because it allows them to explore their creativity and passion without the pressure of deadlines or financial constraints. This time can often lead to breakthroughs and new ideas that may not have been possible during regular work hours.

3. How does an inventor spend their spare time?

An inventor may spend their spare time working on a specific project or idea, researching and learning about new technologies or materials, collaborating with other inventors or experts, or simply brainstorming and coming up with new ideas.

4. Can an inventor's spare time be profitable?

Yes, an inventor's spare time can be profitable if their projects or ideas lead to successful inventions or innovations. Spare time can also be used to develop prototypes or pitch ideas to potential investors or companies, potentially leading to financial gain.

5. Is it common for inventors to have spare time?

Yes, it is common for inventors to have spare time as it allows them to balance their work and personal lives, recharge their creative energy, and pursue their passions outside of their regular job or responsibilities.