1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An object rolling along a hemispherical bowl

1. Jul 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform solid sphere (moment of inertia = 2/5 mr^2) of mass 1.5kg and radius r = 0.473m, is placed on the inside surface of a hemispherical bowl of radius R = 2.77m. The sphere is released from rest at an angle of 66.9 degrees from the vertical and rolls without slipping.
    a) How much potential energy has the sphere lost when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?
    b) What is the translational velocity of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?
    c) What is the angular velocity of the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the bowl?

2. Relevant equations

KE = 1/2 Iw^2. PE = mgh.

3. The attempt at a solution

For part a, do I just do (1.5kg)(9.8)(2.77sin66.9)?
    After I find PE, I will just equate it with 1/2 mv^2 to find the translational velocity and 1/2 Iw^2 to find the angular velocity?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

part a looks fine. part b is not fine. the total energy initially is PE + KE_trans + KE_rot. this must equal the total final energy PE_f + KE_trans_f+KE_rot_f. Part a is the value of PE and PE_f=0.

thus set PE = KE_trans_f + KE_rot_f

not equal to each individually.

4. Jul 11, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And find a relation between the angular velocity and the linear velocity, since it 'rolls without slipping'.

5. Jul 11, 2007 #4
    I got it. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?