An object under water has mass 100 kg. What is the buoyand force?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kuhatelyn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Mass Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kuhatelyn
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
An object is completely under water, hovering, neither rising nor sinking. Its mass is
100 kg. What is the buoyant force on the object, in Newtons?
(a) 12,460
(b) 17,860
(c) 16,080
(d) 9800
(e) none of these

Since buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object, I figured I could plug it into the equation w=mg
w=100 x 9.8
which would give me 980...
Am I doing something wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with your work. I suspect a typo in the problem statement. Maybe they meant 1000 kg, not 100.