rudransh verma said:
Does this come under electrical engineering ?
Yes. Analog EE, really.
rudransh verma said:
I read it and it Looks difficult to understand completely. I found about it in “How computer works” book and was curious to understand it. But I think I have to go back a bit and first understand the basics.
There is a lot of information out there about this. The link I gave may be a bit too advanced initially. But I'm sure there are others that start more slowly. Search the web for ADCs and you'll find the appropriate level for your knowledge and interest. However, one problem is that there are some quite different solutions to this. You may not care enough to study all of the different versions, since they all do the same job at the basic level.
I would start with SAR (successive approximation) ADCs.
The basic idea here is like an intelligent way to solve this problem:
I'm thinking of a number between 0 and 127, figure out what it is with a minimum number of questions.
1) Is it less than 64? Yes.
2) Is it less than 32? No.
3) Is it less than 48? No.
4) Is it less than 56? Yes.
5) Is it less than 52? Yes.
6) Is it less than 50? No.
7) Is it less than 51? No.
8) Then it must be 51.
Each question splits the remaining unknown range in half. The sequence of yes/no answers gives the binary representation of the number. 51
10 = 0110011
2.