Analysing the dependence of a variable on other variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the sensitivity analysis of a variable, specifically how variables d, g, and T affect variable C. The speaker conducted a DCF analysis and tried to find the derivatives of C with respect to d, g, and T, but found them confusing. They also asked if there are other methods for analyzing such relationships. The response suggests using numerical analysis and minimizing or maximizing a new function to determine the effects of the variables.
musicgold
Hi,

I am trying to analyze the sensitivity of a variable to three other variables. Please see the attached document explaining the relationship. The document shows how I reached to Eqn 1. It is nothing but a DCF analysis for a one-year period.

I wish to understand how the variables d, g, and T influence the variable C. I wish to know by how much C changes when d or g or T move increases or decreases by 10%.

I kind of did some sensitivity analysis in Excel by changing the values of d, g, and T, but I feel that I still don’t have the whole picturel.

In eqn 2, 3, and 4, I tried to find the derivatives of C wrt to d, g, and T, but they are more confusing than eqn 1. I am not able to interpret the equations.

Also I have the following questions.

Q1. Is this the right way of analyzing such a relationship?
Q2. Are there any other methods for doing this kind of analysis?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Sensitivity analysis.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
Such investigations are one reason for an entire branch of mathematics: Numerical Analysis.
The simplest approach is to consider ##d\pm \varepsilon_1\, , \,g\pm \varepsilon_2\, , \,T\pm \varepsilon_3## and determine ##c## as a function of your variables and the ##\varepsilon_i##. Then you can minimize (maximize) the new function ##c(d,g,T,\varepsilon_1,\varepsilon_2,\varepsilon_3)## w.r.t. the ##\varepsilon_i## by known methods, e.g. using Lagrange multipliers, or if possible, a Simplex algorithm.

1. What is the purpose of analysing the dependence of a variable on other variables?

The purpose of this analysis is to understand the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It allows scientists to identify how changes in the independent variables affect the dependent variable, and to determine the strength and direction of this relationship.

2. What methods can be used to analyse the dependence of a variable on other variables?

There are various methods that can be used for this analysis, including correlation analysis, regression analysis, and ANOVA (Analysis of Variance). Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the research question and the nature of the data.

3. How do you determine the strength of the relationship between variables?

The strength of the relationship between variables can be determined through correlation analysis, which measures the degree of association between two variables. The correlation coefficient (usually denoted by r) ranges from -1 to +1, with higher values indicating a stronger relationship.

4. What is the difference between a dependent and an independent variable?

A dependent variable is the outcome or response variable that is being studied and is influenced by one or more independent variables. Independent variables are the factors that are manipulated or controlled by the researcher and are expected to have an effect on the dependent variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when analysing the dependence of a variable on other variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid include assuming causation based on correlation, using inappropriate statistical methods, and failing to consider other variables that may also influence the dependent variable. It is important to carefully plan and design the analysis, and to interpret the results with caution and in the context of the research question.