Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an

In summary, The conversation discusses a mathematical inequality involving positive real numbers and how to prove it. One person suggests using the AM-GM inequality for the case n=2, while another person suggests using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality for the general case. The conversation ends with a comment about the flu affecting one's thinking ability.
hypermonkey2
hey guys, i came across this inequality in analysis and am not sure how to prove it. Any ideas? It's not homework, I am just curious..

Let a1, a2, . . . , an be strictly positive real numbers. Show that

a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an <= ((a1)^2)/a2 + ((a2)^2)/a3) +...+ ((an)^2)/a1

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the case n=2. It follows from the AM-GM inequality.

[tex]
0 \leq \left(\frac{a_1}{\sqrt{a_2}} - \frac{a_2}{\sqrt{a_1}}\right)^2 = \frac{a_1^2}{a_2} - 2\sqrt{a_1 a_2} + \frac{a_2^2}{a_1} \leq \frac{a_1^2}{a_2} - (a_1 + a_2) + \frac{a_2^2}{a_1}.
[/tex]

Thats pretty sweet. Thats hard to generalize, no?

Yeah. I thought it was an easy induction argument after that, but that's obviously not the case. The flu is making me stupid.

Anyway, we can use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality instead.

[tex]\left(\sum a_i\right)^2 = \left(\sum \frac{a_i}{\sqrt{a_{i+1}}} \sqrt{a_{i+1}}\right)^2 \leq \sum \frac{a_i^2}{a_{i+1}} \sum a_{i+1},[/tex]

where the index of summation is taken mod n (so a_{n+1} = a_1).

What is "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an"?

"Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" is a mathematical concept that involves proving the inequality between the sum of a series of numbers (a1, a2, ..., an−1, an) and another number or series of numbers.

Why is "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" important?

"Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" is important because it allows us to compare the sum of a series of numbers to another number or series of numbers, and determine if the inequality is true or false. This is a crucial step in many mathematical proofs and can lead to a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

What are some common methods for proving inequality?

There are several common methods for proving inequality, including induction, contradiction, and direct proof. Induction involves proving that the inequality holds for a base case and then showing that if it holds for any given case, it also holds for the next case. Contradiction involves assuming the opposite of the inequality and showing that it leads to a contradiction. Direct proof involves using logical steps to show that the inequality is true.

What are some important properties of "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an"?

Some important properties of "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" include the transitive property, which states that if a < b and b < c, then a < c. Another important property is the addition property, which states that if a < b, then a + c < b + c. These properties can be used in proofs to help establish the truth of an inequality.

Can "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, "Proving Inequality: a1 + a2 + · · · + an−1 + an" can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used in economics to compare the income distribution between different groups or in physics to prove the relationship between different physical quantities. It is a fundamental concept in many fields of study and can help us make informed decisions based on mathematical reasoning.