• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Analysis: Inverse Function Theorem

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The function is monotone increasing, it does have an inverse even if the derivative happens to be zero at point. And you don't have to evaluate f'(pi/2) to solve the problem, you have to find f'(f^(-1)(-1)). What's f^(-1)(-1)?

The function is monotone increasing, it does have an inverse even if the derivative happens to be zero at point. And you don't have to evaluate f'(pi/2) to solve the problem, you have to find f'(f^(-1)(-1)). What's f^(-1)(-1)?
I know I'm not evaluating at that point. To me, it seems that the theorem states that for every x in the interval the derivative of the function cannot be zero. Pi/2 is in that interval.

The answer to the problem is (c).

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I know I'm not evaluating at that point. To me, it seems that the theorem states that for every x in the interval the derivative of the function cannot be zero. Pi/2 is in that interval.
That's not what it says. It's says f' has to be continuously differentiable and nonzero NEAR the point f^(-1)(-1). Not everywhere.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's not what it says. It's says f' has to be continuously differentiable and nonzero NEAR the point f^(-1)(-1). Not everywhere.
What are you talking about? It says it right here.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111109_161232.jpg [Broken]

I'm interpreting I = (0, 2pi).

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What are you talking about? It says it right here.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20111109_161232.jpg [Broken]

I'm interpreting I = (0, 2pi).
You don't need to take I=(0,2pi). f^(-1)(-1)=pi, so take I=(pi-1/4,pi+1/4). Or any other small interval around pi that doesn't include pi/2. Then it fits your statement, doesn't it? That's what I mean by NEAR pi.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to take I=(0,2pi). f^(-1)(-1)=pi, so take I=(pi-1/4,pi+1/4). Or any other small interval around pi that doesn't include pi/2. Then it fits your statement, doesn't it? That's what I mean by NEAR pi.
Yeah, I just realized that maybe setting that given interval equal to I is my problem. Thanks again.