Analysis: is a particular function a metric

In summary, the conversation is about determining if a given function is a metric on the set of real numbers. The definition of a metric requires it to be positive definite, symmetric, and satisfy the triangle inequality. The speaker discusses the positive definiteness and symmetry of the function, but struggles with proving the triangle inequality. They use a specific example to try and prove it, but are unable to do so. They then mention having trouble with a proof for their homework, which involves translating and proving a statement involving epsilon and delta.
fucoat
1. The problem
(this is from Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, p. 43 #11)
Determine if the following is a metric

d(x,y) = abs(x-y)/(1 + abs(x-y))
where the set in question is the real number line (R1)

Homework Equations

the definition of a metric on a set requires that it be:
(1) positive definite
(2) symmetric
(3) satisfies the triangle inequality, that is d(x,y) ≤ d(x,r) + d(r,y) for all x, y, r

The Attempt at a Solution

the positive definiteness of d(•,•) is apparent since both the numerator and denominator are positive for all x, y such that x≠y. and 0 when x=y.

The symmetry likewise follows quickly from the symmetry of the absolute value function.

The triangle inequality is more difficult:
the problem is given x,y, z in R1 is the following satisfied:

abs(x-y)/(1+ abs(x-y)) ≤ abs(x-r)/(1+ abs(x-r)) + abs(r-y)/(1+abs(r-y).

If we look only at the numerator we see that this is the ordinary triangle inequality for the standard metric on R1. I started with the simple case with y=-x and r=0
which gives:

2|x|/(1+|2x|) for the left hand side and:
|x|/(1+|x|) +|x|/(1+|x|) for the right hand side which reduces to:
2|x|/(1+|x|) which is obviously greater than the left (since the denominator for the LHS is strictly greater than that for the RHS)

when I branch out from this very simple case I can't either compare the quantities or they conform to the triangle inequality (I can post the other values I used if they help at all).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey guys I am having trouble with this proof for my real analysis homework. The problem is

Translate and Prove:
Say (Epsilon)>0. For some (Delta)>0, if abs.x<(Delta), then [(abs.x)^1/2.(abs.cos(x))]<(Epsilon).

1. What is a metric function?

A metric function is a mathematical function that measures the distance between two points in a given space. It is also known as a distance function or a distance metric.

2. What are the properties of a metric function?

A metric function must have three properties: non-negativity, identity of indiscernibles, and symmetry. Non-negativity means that the distance between two points cannot be negative. Identity of indiscernibles means that the distance between two points is zero if and only if the two points are the same. Symmetry means that the distance between point A and point B is the same as the distance between point B and point A.

3. How can a metric function be used in analysis?

A metric function can be used in analysis to measure and compare the distance between different objects or points in a given space. It can also be used to define the notion of convergence in a metric space, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. What are some examples of metric functions?

Some common examples of metric functions include the Euclidean distance function, which measures the straight-line distance between two points in a Cartesian coordinate system, and the Manhattan distance function, which measures the distance between two points in a grid-like structure by adding the horizontal and vertical distances between them.

5. How can one determine if a function is a metric?

To determine if a function is a metric, one must check if it satisfies the three properties of a metric function: non-negativity, identity of indiscernibles, and symmetry. If a function meets all three criteria, then it can be considered a metric function.