Analysis: Prove |x|+|y| is less than or equal to |x+y|+|x-y|

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chinnu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Chinnu
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Using the triangle inequality, establish that:

|x| + |y| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x+y| + |x-y|

Homework Equations



|x + y| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x| + |y|

The Attempt at a Solution



I have tried a few things, here are those that seem like they would be most useful:

|x + y| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x| + |y|

[itex]\leq[/itex] |x+y-y| + |y-x+x|

[itex]\leq[/itex] |x+y| + |-y| + |y-x| + |x|

[itex]\leq[/itex] |x+y| + |y| + |y-x| + |x| ...Note that |y-x| = |x-y|

Also,

|x-y| [itex]\leq[/itex] |x| + |-y| = |x| + |y|

which might be able to be used in the middle inequality above.

I'm not sure what to do from here (or if I'm on the right track)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chinnu! :smile:

Try substituting x=u+v and y=u-v.
Note that you can find a u and a v for any x and y.