Should I Choose Rudin or Wade for My First Real Analysis Course?

• Thread starter inknit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of enrolling in a real analysis course. The speaker is considering taking either "basic real analysis" or "Intro to Real Analysis" and is unsure if they can handle Rudin's Principles of Analysis. Other students have skipped basic analysis and gone straight to Intro Analysis, but the speaker has taken multivariable calculus and basic linear algebra. It is mentioned that Rudin's book is not the best at explaining intuition and another book is recommended as a complement. A not so well-known textbook, "Mathematical Analysis" by Ken Bimore, is also suggested for first-timers in real analysis. The speaker also recommends having a second textbook, mentioning "Analysis: with an introduction to proof"
inknit
I'm enrolling in my first real analysis course this fall called "basic real analysis" that uses Wade as the text. Amazon makes it clear that this is one of the worst analysis texts out there, but there's also another course called "Intro to Real Analysis" that uses Rudin's Principles of Analysis.

Technically, one should take basic analysis first, but it seems to be that some students at my school just skip basic and take Intro Analysis. I've taken multivariable calculus and basic linear algebra, so do you think I can handle Rudin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will be able to handle Rudin, but you'll have to work hard. Real analysis is not a joke, so better be prepared.
Also, I very much suggest that you buy another book to complement Rudin. Rudin sucks at explaining intuition at times, and another book might bring a breeze of fresh air to the topic.

I was thinking about the exact same thing, since we go to the same school. Thing is, Imbrie's reviews aren't all that fantastic either, and this is supposed to be a pretty damn tough class. Plus it conflicts with Math 5210 which is required for a Physics BS, so I'll probably be putting it off til next year.

A not so known textbook on Analysis is Mathematical Analysis by Ken Bimore. It'll be helpful if this is your first time taking Real Analysis.

Having a second Analysis textbook is a god-send at times, so I would highly recommend it.

The two textbooks I used were:

"Analysis: with an introduction to proof" by Stephen R. Lay

and

"Understanding Analysis" by Stephen Abbott

Both were pretty comprehensive, and it helped to switch between the two whenever I felt the other failed at explaining the concepts I was covering.

Hope this helps.

What is the difference between Rudin analysis and Wade analysis?

Rudin analysis, also known as real analysis, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It focuses on topics such as limits, continuity, and differentiation. Wade analysis, on the other hand, refers to the study of complex numbers and their properties. It covers topics such as complex functions, integration, and series. In summary, Rudin analysis deals with real numbers while Wade analysis deals with complex numbers.

Which one is more applicable in scientific research, Rudin analysis or Wade analysis?

Both Rudin analysis and Wade analysis have their applications in scientific research. However, Rudin analysis is more commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where real numbers are the primary objects of study. Wade analysis is more often used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and signal processing, which deal with complex numbers.

Is one type of analysis more difficult than the other?

This is a subjective question as difficulty level can vary from person to person. However, many students find Rudin analysis to be more challenging due to its abstract nature and rigorous proofs. Wade analysis, on the other hand, may be more accessible to some students as it deals with more familiar concepts like complex numbers and functions.

What are some real-world applications of Rudin analysis and Wade analysis?

Rudin analysis has numerous real-world applications, including predicting stock market trends, optimizing engineering designs, and modeling physical systems. Wade analysis is used in fields such as signal processing, image and video compression, and computer graphics. It is also essential in understanding quantum mechanics and its applications in science and technology.

Which one should I study first, Rudin analysis or Wade analysis?

It is generally recommended to have a solid understanding of Rudin analysis before delving into Wade analysis. Rudin analysis covers fundamental concepts and techniques that are necessary for understanding Wade analysis. However, if your research field or interests primarily deal with complex numbers, you may choose to study Wade analysis first.