1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Function

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have some questions regarding how to find the analytisity region of a funtion.
    I'm a little confuse after I studied the definition of analytic function: which it saids
    [if a function f is differentiable at every z in A, then f is analytic on A]

eg. Log z is analytic on the entire complex plane EXCEPT the -ve real axis.
    Which make sense to me since Log z is undefind when x<=0 & y=0 , for z=x+iy

Log z^2 is analytic on the entire complex plane again EXCEPT z=0, and exclude the
    Imaginary axis. Is that right?

I'm wondering if there's a way to actually compute/calculate the region instead of doing it in the head?
    Since Log z & Log z^2 is kinda basic, it'll be hard to do if it is comething like Log (1+2/z)

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

log(-1) CAN be defined since e^(i*pi)=-1. The upper case 'L' in Log is not is not just ornamental. It's a branch of log that's undefined for negative reals precisely so it can be uniquely defined for all other complex numbers. You can't compute why a function like that is undefined. Where it's undefined is a matter of convention. Look up "analytic continuation".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?