Analytical solution to b=a*x^-theta - x?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding an analytical solution for the equation b = a*x - θ - x, where a, b, x, and θ are all positive values. The first participant wonders if such a solution can be built using elementary functions, to which the second participant responds that it is unlikely but cannot be proven. The third participant suggests finding a solution by considering different values for θ and solving an infinite system of equations. The final remark mentions the limitation of finding a solution by radicals for equations with a degree greater than or equal to five.
sargondjani1
I wonder if there is an analytical solution to:

b=a*x - x

with a>0, b>0, x>0, θ>1

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you by "analytical solution" mean a function built up from elementary functions? If so, the answer is almost certainly no, but I can't prove it.

Analytic with respect to which variable?

Do you want to search for ##x=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}a_{i}y^{i}##? In this case put ##x## in ##bx^{\theta}=a-x^{\theta+1}## and try to solve a system (infinite) involving equations with the coefficients ##a_{i}##. If you want simply the solutions of ##bx^{\theta}-a+x^{\theta+1}=0##, you must start to consider different value of ##\theta##, remember that for equation of degree up or equal to ##5## there is not a solution given by radicals ...

Ssnow said:
remember that for equation of degree up or equal to 55 there is not a solution given by radicals ...
That just gives two options for θ with an analytic solution.

Likes Ssnow

1. What is an analytical solution?

An analytical solution is a mathematical method used to find exact solutions to equations without relying on numerical approximations or trial-and-error methods. It involves using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning to solve equations and obtain a precise solution.

2. What is the equation b=a*x^-theta - x used for?

This equation is commonly used in scientific and mathematical models to represent relationships between variables. It is known as a power law equation, where x is the independent variable, a and theta are constants, and b is the dependent variable.

3. What does the term "theta" represent in the equation?

The term "theta" is a constant in the equation and represents the exponent or power to which x is raised. It is often used to describe the relationship between two variables in a power law model.

4. How do you solve an equation with a negative exponent?

To solve an equation with a negative exponent, you can use the properties of exponents to rewrite the expression as a positive exponent. In this case, you can rewrite x^-theta as 1/x^theta. Then, you can proceed to solve the equation using algebraic methods.

5. Can an analytical solution be used for any equation?

An analytical solution can be used for some equations, but not all. It is most commonly used for equations that have a finite number of solutions and can be solved using algebraic methods. Some equations may require numerical methods or advanced mathematical techniques to find a solution.