Analytical solutions of cubic and quartic equations

In summary, even though it is uncommon to see questions asking for an analytical solution to equations of degree 3 or 4, they have been asked on the forum. It is also important to understand the method and remember the form of the required substitutions for solving cubic equations. The quartic equation is often too tedious to solve analytically without a computer, but the method is still instructive. Substitutions are powerful tools in algebraic manipulations and can also be used in solving cubic equations. There are more general analytic techniques, such as using hypergeometric functions, for solving higher degree equations. However, some find it easier to work with trig ratios when writing out the solutions.
Curious3141
Homework Helper
Even though it is uncommon to see questions asking for an analytical solution to equations of degree 3 or 4, they have been asked on the forum. It's also good to know how, in any case.

Cubic : http://www.karlscalculus.org/cubic.html

Quartic : http://www.karlscalculus.org/quartic.html

For the cubic equation, I would discourage simply memorising the general formula; instead, try to understand the method and remember the form of the required substitutions to reduce the cubic to a quadratic.

IMHO, the cubic is still doable by hand. The quartic is often too tedious to contemplate solving analytically (without a computer), but the method is instructive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I hate solving cubic equations, I usually use an itritive method:blushing: Good tutorials though :biggrin:

~H

I guess it's nitpicky, but I don't think you meant "analytical": you meant solutions in terms of radicals.

There are more general analytic techniques: for example, an explicit (albeit extraordinarily long) solution to the general quintic can be written in terms of hypergeometric functions.

There's even a neat solution method for the reduced cubic based on the trig identity 4 cos³ t - 3 cos t - cos 3t = 0. (make the substitution x = m cos t, and rewrite your cubic in this form)

Slightly off topic, but I never learned anything about substitutions in algebraic manipulations.

Can anyone direct me to a website, a book, or anything that covers them and their uses?

Sounds like they are powerful. I have only seen them in calculus, your generic old u-substitutions.

Thanks.

Hurkyl said:
I guess it's nitpicky, but I don't think you meant "analytical": you meant solutions in terms of radicals.

Yeah, I meant solution by radicals. I was looking for a "snappy" title, and I've seen "analytical" being used in this exact context before, for e.g. http://www.me.gatech.edu/energy/andy_phd/appA.htm.

But if the terminology isn't correct, please feel free to amend the topic title.

There's even a neat solution method for the reduced cubic based on the trig identity 4 cos³ t - 3 cos t - cos 3t = 0. (make the substitution x = m cos t, and rewrite your cubic in this form)

Yup, I'm aware of this method, but it's nice to keep the whole thing algebraic. Although when you come to writing out the solutions, it's often easier to work in trig ratios. :smile:

Actually, no, that site does NOT refer to "analytical" solutions, it refers to
"ANAYLYTICAL", whatever that means!

HallsofIvy said:
Actually, no, that site does NOT refer to "analytical" solutions, it refers to
"ANAYLYTICAL", whatever that means!

Hehe, good catch. :rofl:

1. What are analytical solutions?

Analytical solutions refer to solving a mathematical equation using a systematic and step-by-step approach, often using algebraic techniques.

2. What are cubic and quartic equations?

Cubic and quartic equations are types of polynomial equations with the highest degree of 3 and 4, respectively. They can be represented in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0 and ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0.

3. Why are analytical solutions important for cubic and quartic equations?

Analytical solutions allow us to find the exact solutions for cubic and quartic equations, which can be used in various applications such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. What are the common methods for finding analytical solutions?

The most common methods for finding analytical solutions of cubic and quartic equations are the general formula method, the depressed cubic method, and the depressed quartic method.

5. Are there any limitations to using analytical solutions for cubic and quartic equations?

Yes, there are limitations. Not all cubic and quartic equations have analytical solutions that can be expressed using radicals. In some cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate the solutions.