Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing the motion of a plastic bottle down an elevated ramp

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    Hi All

I am doing an experiment where I am analyzing how the volume of water in a plastic bottle affects the time taken for it to roll down an elevated ramp and particular distance along a horizontal plane. I need rigorous theory for this experiment which includes moment of inertia, fluid dynamics and angular momentum. I need to know how VOLUME affects TIME. Very specific. Give me lots of theory.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi coolness! welcome to pf! :wink:

in this forum, we expect you to do most of the work, and then we comment and help :smile:

but first, tell us from your observations what the water actually does

does it stay completely level, does it slosh backwards and forwards a little, does it "loop the loop", or something in between, and does its behaviour change as the speed (or the slope) increases? :wink:
    is there any other sort of ramp? :confused:

or do you mean a ramp in an elevator? :rolleyes:

4. Sep 3, 2011 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fluid dynamics -> forget theory, just try it!

But seriously, this is way to complex to treat with a theoretical analysis on paper, unless you assume no friction between the water and bottle, so the water stays level and doesn't start to rotate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook