Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle at which distance is longest?

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    I have a question about projectory motion.

I know that if ball is thrown by a person with a initial velocity v(only x and ycomponents), a maximum distance d (distance of x component) can be achived at angle of 45 degree (an angle between the initial velocity and x component of the velocity). But this is only true when the initial position of y component is the same as the terminal position of y conpoment. Here's the my question: how do you guys find the angle at which when the height of a landing position is not the same as the height of the initial position (i.e. Initial y is not equal to terminal y)? Let's say the ball lands on a tower which has a height h with minimum velocity. What's the formula to find the angle?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    You mean, what is the angle for the ball to land on the tower? Or to reach maximum range?
    Or you have a series of towers and you want to reach the farthest tower possible?
  4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    Does the attachment answer your question?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?