Angle Between Chord AB and Tangent at Point B on a Curve

  • Thread starter Thread starter disfused_3289
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Geometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
disfused_3289
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The normal to the curve y= (x + 2)^2 at the point A(-3, 1) meets the curve at B.
Find the angle at B between the curve and chord AB.

2. The attempt at a solution

I found that B is (-0.5, 2.25) and the equation of the normal is 2y= x + 5.
I thought the angle at B between the curve and chord AB was simply the angle between the normal 2y= x + 5 and the gradient function, y'= 2x +4 but the answer is different from what I get.

Any help would be greatful
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle your are looking is between the chord AB and the tangent of the curve at B.