Understanding Mohr's Circle Formula: Angle Placement Outside the Triangle

In summary: The only difference I can see between your original diagram and the one in post #5 is that two triangles have been coloured in red. Both diagrams show the theta angles by means of black curved arrows starting at the positive sigma (x)...
chetzread

Homework Statement

this is actually mohr's circle formula, forget about the theory,let's focus on the mathematics part. I couldn't understand why the tan( 2 θs1) = -(σx -σy) / 2τxy ?
2θs1 is outside the triangle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

theorically, tan(180-α )= -tan( α ) , so tan( 2 θs1) = -(σx -σy) / 2τxy , the vertical staright line of triangle should represent -(σx -σy) , whereas horizontal axis represent 2τxy , am i right?

Attachments

• 3153.jpg
    3153.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
theorically, tan(180-α )= -tan( α ) , so tan( 2 θs1) = -(σx -σy) / 2τxy , the vertical staright line of triangle should represent -(σx -σy) , whereas horizontal axis represent 2τxy , am i right?

Lessee ... looking at the triangle on the right, basic trig says that ##\tan(180-2\theta_{S1}) = O/A## where ##O=\tau_{xy}## and ##A=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)## ...

Likes chetzread
Simon Bridge said:
Lessee ... looking at the triangle on the right, basic trig says that ##\tan(180-2\theta_{S1}) = O/A## where ##O=\tau_{xy}## and ##A=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)## ...
which triangle do you mean? , where is it?
tan [ theta(S1) ] is (σx- σy) / 2 τxy , where ##A=\tau_{xy}## and ##O=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)##

chetzread said:
which triangle do you mean? , where is it?
tan [ theta(S1) ] is (σx- σy) / 2 τxy , where ##A=\tau_{xy}## and ##O=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)##
Simon means the grey triangle on the right, and I agree with his equation.
The tangent will be negative, and it will be vertical displacement divided by horizontal displacement, so ##\frac{2\tau}{\Delta \sigma}##.
You can check this by thinking about the coordinates of the top corner of the left-hand grey triangle in polar: ##y=r\sin(\theta)##, ##x=r\cos(\theta)##.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
Simon means the grey triangle on the right, and I agree with his equation.
The tangent will be negative, and it will be vertical displacement divided by horizontal displacement, so ##\frac{2\tau}{\Delta \sigma}##.
You can check this by thinking about the coordinates of the top corner of the left-hand grey triangle in polar: ##y=r\sin(\theta)##, ##x=r\cos(\theta)##.
so , the diagram is wrong ?
because it's tan [ theta(S1) ] is (σx- σy) / 2 τxy , where ##A=\tau_{xy}## and ##O=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)##
so , the triangle should be drawn like this rather the grey triangles given by the author , am i right?

Attachments

• 3153.jpg
    3153.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 378
chetzread said:
so , the diagram is wrong ?
because it's tan [ theta(S1) ] is (σx- σy) / 2 τxy , where ##A=\tau_{xy}## and ##O=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)##
so , the triangle should be drawn like this rather the grey triangles given by the author , am i right?
Merely considering a different triangle is not going to change the relationship.
To get the tangent to be sigma/tau you need theta to be measured from a tau axis, not from a sigma axis.

haruspex said:
Merely considering a different triangle is not going to change the relationship.
To get the tangent to be sigma/tau you need theta to be measured from a tau axis, not from a sigma axis.
i have redrawn the triangle in my previous post using red colour, and the angle is measured from the tau axis, so is my idea correct? the triangles shown by author are wrong?

chetzread said:
i have redrawn the triangle in my previous post using red colour, and the angle is measured from the tau axis, so is my idea correct? the triangles shown by author are wrong?
The image you posted with the red triangles still shows the angles as measured from the sigma axis.
Did you intend that the angles are now the acute angles within the red triangles?

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
The image you posted with the red triangles still shows the angles as measured from the sigma axis.
Did you intend that the angles are now the acute angles within the red triangles?
for the triangles that i drew earlier, it's measured from tau (vertical ) axis , right ? why you said it is measured from sigma axis ?

chetzread said:
for the triangles that i drew earlier, it's measured from tau (vertical ) axis , right ? why you said it is measured from sigma axis ?
Your diagram still shows the angles as defined by two black curved arrows starting at the positive sigma axis. I see no other indication in the diagram of how the angles are defined.

haruspex said:
Your diagram still shows the angles as defined by two black curved arrows starting at the positive sigma axis. I see no other indication in the diagram of how the angles are defined.
Why? The angle that I draw start from positive y(tau) axis, right?

chetzread said:
Why? The angle that I draw start from positive y(tau) axis, right?
The only difference I can see between your original diagram and the one in post #5 is that two triangles have been coloured in red. Both diagrams show the theta angles by means of black curved arrows starting at the positive sigma (x) axis.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
The only difference I can see between your original diagram and the one in post #5 is that two triangles have been coloured in red. Both diagrams show the theta angles by means of black curved arrows starting at the positive sigma (x) axis.
sorry , i forgot to label the angle in the new triangle that i drew , here's what i mean ...
According to the notes , tan( 2 θs1) = -(σx -σy) / 2τxy , are they correct now ?

chetzread said:
sorry , i forgot to label the angle in the new triangle that i drew , here's what i mean ...
According to the notes , tan( 2 θs1) = -(σx -σy) / 2τxy , are they correct now ?
If you now are measuring the angles from the tau axis, yes, except that the tangent will now be positive.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
If you now are measuring the angles from the tau axis, yes, except that the tangent will now be positive.
why will tan(2 θs1) will be negative ?
as we can see from the figure , -(σx - σy) is negative value . 2τxy is positive , so tan(2 θs1) will be negative value , right ?

chetzread said:
why will tan(2 θs1) will be negative ?
as we can see from the figure , -(σx - σy) is negative value . 2τxy is positive , so tan(2 θs1) will be negative value , right ?
If you measure the angle anticlockwise from the vertical axis it will be between 0 and 90 degrees or between 180 and 270 degrees. Tan is positive through both of those ranges.

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
If you measure the angle anticlockwise from the vertical axis it will be between 0 and 90 degrees or between 180 and 270 degrees. Tan is positive through both of those ranges.
how to make tan (2 θs1) and tan (2 θs2 ) positive ?
From the figure , we can see that tan( 2 θs1) and tan (2 θs2 ) = - (σx -σy) / 2τxy , both are negative ...

chetzread said:
how to make tan (2 θs1) and tan (2 θs2 ) positive ?
From the figure , we can see that tan( 2 θs1) and tan (2 θs2 ) = - (σx -σy) / 2τxy , both are negative ...
The diagram labels the distance from the vertical axis to the left hand dashed line as - (σx -σy), but it is not. As a distance it is + (σx -σy). The x coordinate of that dashed line is - (σx -σy), but that is another matter.
With standard Cartesian and polar coordinates, it is true that a point with coordinates (x, y) is at (r, θ), where y/x=tan(θ). But since we have had to switch theta to be measured from the positive vertical axis, we now have instead that x/y=-tan(θ).
(This is connected with the fact that the product of the gradients of two lines at right angles is -1.)

Likes chetzread
haruspex said:
The diagram labels the distance from the vertical axis to the left hand dashed line as - (σx -σy), but it is not. As a distance it is + (σx -σy). The x coordinate of that dashed line is - (σx -σy), but that is another matter.
With standard Cartesian and polar coordinates, it is true that a point with coordinates (x, y) is at (r, θ), where y/x=tan(θ). But since we have had to switch theta to be measured from the positive vertical axis, we now have instead that x/y=-tan(θ).
(This is connected with the fact that the product of the gradients of two lines at right angles is -1.)
well , refer to the green colour , igonre the black colour label , so 2θs1 is measured in this way ? so , tan2θs1 = - tan(α) = - (-(σx - σy)) / 2τxy = (σx - σy)) / 2τxy
P/s : I let 180 - α = 2θs1 , so tan (180 - α ) = -tan( α )
Am i right ?
why we need to switch theta to be measured from the positive vertical axis ? why we can't measure it directly from negative vertical axis ?

chetzread said:
refer to the green colour
Green? Where? Did you mean to attach an image in post #13?
chetzread said:
180 - α = 2θs1
Ok, if you switch to measuring clockwise that will switch the sign.
chetzread said:
why we can't measure it directly from negative vertical axis ?
Doesn't help. tan(θ+π)=tan(θ).

haruspex said:
Green? Where? Did you mean to attach an image in post #13?

Ok, if you switch to measuring clockwise that will switch the sign.

Doesn't help. tan(θ+π)=tan(θ).
here it is . sorry

Attachments

• 3153.jpg
    3153.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 403
haruspex said:
Doesn't help. tan(θ+π)=tan(θ)
why it's not tan(θ-π) ?

chetzread said:
why it's not tan(θ-π) ?
tan(θ+π) is the same as tan(θ-π).

haruspex said:
tan(θ+π) is the same as tan(θ-π).
well ,
refer to the green colour , igonre the black colour label , so 2θs1 is measured in this way ? so , tan2θs1 = - tan(α) = - (-(σx - σy)) / 2τxy = (σx - σy)) / 2τxy
Is my idea correct ?

chetzread said:
well ,
refer to the green colour , igonre the black colour label , so 2θs1 is measured in this way ? so , tan2θs1 = - tan(α) = - (-(σx - σy)) / 2τxy = (σx - σy)) / 2τxy
Is my idea correct ?
If you measure the angles clockwise from the vertical axis, as you have with your green arrows, you will get the tan to come out the way you want.

haruspex said:
If you measure the angles clockwise from the vertical axis, as you have with your green arrows, you will get the tan to come out the way you want.
so , where should be the 2θs1 located ? i have another notes here , where the 2θs1 is measured from the positive axis ... and it's less than 90 degree , whereas in the case in post#21 , it's more than 90 degree.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 405
chetzread said:
so , where should be the 2θs1 located ? i have another notes here , where the 2θs1 is measured from the positive axis ... and it's less than 90 degree , whereas in the case in post#21 , it's more than 90 degree.
It is unclear how the angles are defined, exactly. The diagram merely shows two angles in a geometric sense, i.e. as the angles between two lines. One is between 0 and 90, while the other is between 180 and 270. In each case, that means the tangent should be positive.
But if the angles are defined as being measured clockwise from the vertical then they are between 0 and -90 and between -180 and -270. In this view the tangents would be negative.
I suspect that, for the purposes of the text, it will not matter which view is taken as long as you are consistent.

What is an angle outside a triangle?

An angle outside a triangle is an angle that is formed by extending one side of the triangle and intersecting it with another side of the triangle.

How do you find the measure of an angle outside a triangle?

To find the measure of an angle outside a triangle, you can use the Exterior Angle Theorem, which states that the measure of an angle outside a triangle is equal to the sum of the two remote interior angles of the triangle. Alternatively, you can use the Triangle Angle Sum Theorem, which states that the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, to find the measure of the angle outside the triangle.

Can an angle outside a triangle be larger than 180 degrees?

No, an angle outside a triangle cannot be larger than 180 degrees. The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180 degrees, so the measure of an angle outside the triangle cannot exceed this value.

What is the difference between an exterior angle and an interior angle of a triangle?

An exterior angle is formed by extending one side of a triangle and intersecting it with another side of the triangle. An interior angle, on the other hand, is formed by the intersection of two sides of a triangle. The exterior angle is always larger than the corresponding interior angle.

How can knowing about angles outside a triangle be useful?

Knowing about angles outside a triangle can be useful in various geometric and trigonometric calculations, such as finding missing angles and sides of triangles, as well as in real-world applications like architecture and engineering.