Angular distribution of radiation in relativistic limit

In summary: You will get a series in (1-1/\gamma^2) to some power. Then you can expand the cosine of that series.
genxium
While linear accelerating an electron, with direction of acceleration being the ##z+## axis of the spherical coordinates, its radiation in angular distribution form is(according to this tutorial: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node132.html)

##\frac{dP(t')}{d\Omega} = \frac{e^2\dot{u}}{16\pi^2\epsilon_0c^3}\frac{sin^2\theta}{[1-(u/c)cos\theta]^5}##

where ##t'## is retarded time, ##\theta## is the polar angle of measuring point in current spherical coordinate, ##u## is the value of velocity, ##\dot{u}## is the value of acceleration.

By differentiating wrt ##cos\theta## I can verify equation (1662) in the tutorial saying that

##\theta_{max} = arccos [\frac{1}{3(u/c)}(\sqrt{1+15u^2/c^2} - 1)]##

is the angle of maximum radiation.

However I don't get why taking ##u/c \rightarrow 1## results in ##\theta_{max} \rightarrow 1/(2\gamma)## where ##\gamma## should be ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}##.

It seems quite straight forward for me to get just ##\theta_{max} \rightarrow arccos(1) \, = \, 0## as ##u/c \rightarrow 1##.

Where did I go wrong?

Any help is appreciated :)

Science news on Phys.org
The gamma factor goes to infinity in this limit so the angle does go to zero. The quoted expression describes how it goes to zero and to derive it you need to keep higher order terms. I suggest writing your expression in terms of ##\gamma## and making a Taylor expansion in ##1/\gamma##.

Orodruin said:
I suggest writing your expression in terms of ##\gamma## and making a Taylor expansion in ##1/\gamma##.

Thanks this sounds on the right track. I'll try it :)

OMG the calculation is taking me a long time and I'm still stuck in all the trials. By far I've done:

Denote ##h = \frac{\gamma}{3\sqrt{\gamma^2-1}}(4\sqrt{1-\frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)## thus ##\theta_{max} = arccos(h) \approx \frac{\pi}{2} - (h + \frac{1}{6}h^3 + \frac{3}{40}h^5 + ...)##

And now the high order terms become complicated if one goes on in a straight forward calculation. Is there any workaround for this?

Btw I also doubt the necessity of such a hassle. If the importance of investigating ##\frac{dP(t')}{d\Omega}## is to divide the space into "lobes" where radiations strengthen/attenuate w.r.t ##\theta##, then finding local extrema like ##\theta_{max}(u, \dot{u}, ...), \theta_{min}(u, \dot{u}, ...)## should be a good stop to the calculation.

genxium said:
OMG the calculation is taking me a long time and I'm still stuck in all the trials. By far I've done:

Denote ##h = \frac{\gamma}{3\sqrt{\gamma^2-1}}(4\sqrt{1-\frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)## thus ##\theta_{max} = arccos(h) \approx \frac{\pi}{2} - (h + \frac{1}{6}h^3 + \frac{3}{40}h^5 + ...)##

And now the high order terms become complicated if one goes on in a straight forward calculation. Is there any workaround for this?

Btw I also doubt the necessity of such a hassle. If the importance of investigating ##\frac{dP(t')}{d\Omega}## is to divide the space into "lobes" where radiations strengthen/attenuate w.r.t ##\theta##, then finding local extrema like ##\theta_{max}(u, \dot{u}, ...), \theta_{min}(u, \dot{u}, ...)## should be a good stop to the calculation.

You are attempting to taylor expand ##\arccos(x)## instead of ##\arccos(1-x)##. You will have more success if you do the second.

When set u/c -->1 for lower values the c/u --> 1 for larger values. So (c/u)^2 --> 1 much stronger than (c/u) and rewriting your equation as:
$$ \cos{\theta_{max}} = \frac{1}{3}\left(\sqrt{15+(c/u)^2}-(c/u)\right) $$ the limit for (c/u)-->1 is 1 so θmax=0.

Orodruin said:
You are attempting to taylor expand ##\arccos(x)## instead of ##\arccos(1-x)##. You will have more success if you do the second.

Hi Orodruin, the hint is cool however I still can't find out how to use it :(

It's not obvious to me how to get to the form ##1-x## from either ##\frac{1}{3(u/c)}(\sqrt{1+15u^2/c^2} - 1)## or ##\frac{\gamma}{3\sqrt{\gamma^2 - 1}}(4\sqrt{1-\frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)##.

I suggest you rewrite it as
$$
\frac{1}{3\sqrt{1-1/\gamma^2}} (4\sqrt{1- \frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)
$$
and start expanding it in ##1/\gamma^2##.

Orodruin said:
I suggest you rewrite it as
$$
\frac{1}{3\sqrt{1-1/\gamma^2}} (4\sqrt{1- \frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)
$$
and start expanding it in ##1/\gamma^2##.

Do you mean Taylor expanding ##\frac{1}{3\sqrt{1-1/\gamma^2}} (4\sqrt{1- \frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)## first to get something like ##f(\frac{1}{\gamma^2})##, then Taylor expanding ##acos(f(\frac{1}{\gamma^2}))##?

genxium said:
Do you mean Taylor expanding ##\frac{1}{3\sqrt{1-1/\gamma^2}} (4\sqrt{1- \frac{15}{16\gamma^2}} - 1)## first to get something like ##f(\frac{1}{\gamma^2})##, then Taylor expanding ##acos(f(\frac{1}{\gamma^2}))##?

You already have a function which is a function ##f(1/\gamma^2)## so you can series expand it. It is easier to take the cosine of everything and expand the cosine for small angles.

1. What is the significance of the angular distribution of radiation in the relativistic limit?

The angular distribution of radiation in the relativistic limit refers to the pattern in which electromagnetic radiation is emitted from a moving charged particle. This distribution is important because it gives us insight into the behavior of particles at high speeds and can help us understand phenomena such as synchrotron radiation and the Doppler effect.

2. How is the angular distribution of radiation affected by the particle's speed?

In the relativistic limit, the angular distribution of radiation is highly dependent on the particle's speed. As the particle's speed increases, the radiation becomes more concentrated in the direction of motion, with a sharp peak in the forward direction. This is known as relativistic beaming and is a result of the Lorentz contraction of the electric field of the charged particle.

3. Can the angular distribution of radiation be described by a simple mathematical formula?

Yes, in the relativistic limit, the angular distribution of radiation can be described by the formula known as the Liénard-Wiechert potential. This formula takes into account the velocity, acceleration, and distance of the particle from the observer to determine the intensity and direction of the emitted radiation.

4. How does the angle of observation affect the angular distribution of radiation?

The angle of observation plays a crucial role in the angular distribution of radiation. As the angle of observation increases, the intensity of the radiation decreases, and the peak becomes wider. This is due to the fact that at larger angles, the observer is no longer in the direct path of the emitted radiation.

5. Are there any experimental techniques used to study the angular distribution of radiation in the relativistic limit?

Yes, there are several experimental techniques that are used to study the angular distribution of radiation in the relativistic limit. These include synchrotron radiation experiments, where high-energy particles are accelerated in circular paths, and Compton scattering experiments, which involve the collision of a high-energy photon with a charged particle at rest.