1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Frequency of Damped Oscillator

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1

cd6

1. What is the angular frequency of a damped oscillator whose spring stiffness is 15 cm with a 19.6 N mass and a damping constant of 15 kg/s?

2. ω0 = √(k/m) ----where k = spring constant and m=mass

ζ= c/(2√(mk)) -----where m = mass, k = spring constant, and c = damping constant

3. I first converted N to kg to get the mass. It resulted in ≈ 2 kg. The 15 cm would also be converted to .15 m. However, I don't know which formula to use. ζ is dimensionless but utilizes all three values given in the question; I need my answer in rad/s. The first equation using ω0, too, wouldn't give me those unit. I really just need a formula. This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I'm lacking an appropriate description. I seriously just don't understand this problem. Thank you in advance!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ζ is not the angular frequency of the damped oscillator.

Read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Damped_harmonic_oscillator

The unit of angular frequency is 1/s. What is the unit of √(k/m)?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook