Angular Momentum of a Ferris Wheel

In summary, the problem asks for the rotational inertia of a Ferris wheel with 36 cars and a radius of 38m, given the mass of each car (1.1e4 kg) and the mass of the wheel's structure (6.0e5 kg). Using the formula for moment of inertia (I = MR²), the total inertia is calculated to be 1.7e9. However, the solution suggests using the formula for the moment of inertia of a disk, assuming that the mass is evenly distributed over the entire circle. This results in a final answer of 1.22e9, which may seem different due to the assumption of evenly distributed mass. It is important to include this assumption in the
quantum13

Homework Statement

[Let a Ferris wheel exist.] The wheel carries 36 cars, each holding as many as 60 passengers of 70kg mass, around a circle of radius R = 38m. The mass of each car is about 1.1e4 kg. The mass of the wheel's structure as about 6.0e5kg, which was mostly in the circular grid from which the cars are suspended. Find the rotational inertia around the center of the wheel.

Homework Equations

I=MR²
L = Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

Divide the inertia into two parts, inertia of the cars and inertia of the wheel:
I_cars = MR²
M = [36 ( 1.1e4 + 60 x 70)] kg
R² = 38² m²

I_wheel = MR²
M = 6.0e5 kg
R² = 38² m²

Total inertia is calculated to be 1.7e9

Answer: 1.22e9
According to the solution, M for the wheel should be 3.0e5 kg, but I don't understand why.

Thanks in advance! (also, please give suggestions for homework problem format, this is my first)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they want you to use the formula for the moment of inertia of a disk. That is, don't assume that the mass of the wheel is concentrated around the edge (where the cars are), but instead assume that it's evenly distributed over the whole circle, all the way from the center out to the edge.

Ah, I totally missed that. I still don't understand how you can use the mass divided by two for the equation though.

What makes you think you should divide the mass by two?

Why don't you show your new work using the proper formula for moment of inertia of a disk, and we can work from there.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a Ferris wheel?

The angular momentum of a Ferris wheel can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the wheel with the angular velocity of the wheel.

3. How does the angular momentum of a Ferris wheel change during its motion?

As the Ferris wheel rotates, the angular momentum remains constant, assuming no external torque is applied. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does the angular momentum of a Ferris wheel affect its speed?

The angular momentum of a Ferris wheel affects its speed by influencing how quickly it accelerates or decelerates. A larger angular momentum will result in a slower acceleration or deceleration, while a smaller angular momentum will result in a faster change in speed.

5. Can the angular momentum of a Ferris wheel be changed?

Yes, the angular momentum of a Ferris wheel can be changed by applying an external torque, such as a motor, which can increase or decrease the speed of the wheel and therefore change its angular momentum.