1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum of a particle system

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the total angular momentum of the system of particles pictured in Figure P.10 about the origin at 0. Figure is at www.webassign.net/reese1/p10-10.gif.

2. Relevant equations

L = r X p

p = mv

3. The attempt at a solution

Since you are taking a vector product, there is no i or j component to the angular momentum, meaning there will just be k perpendicular to the plane. I read somewhere that when doing a system of particles, you should take the angular momentum of each separate particle and then add it up. However, when I do this I don't get the right answer... Using L = r X p:

For 1st 3m: -4i + 2j X -3i = 6k
    For 1st 2m: 1i + 2j X 2i = -4k
    For 2nd 2m: 1i -2j X 2j = 2k

And 6 - 4 + 2 = 4k, which is NOT the right answer. I don't know what I've done wrong...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Your 3rd r vector should be <1.2i, -2j> shouldn't it?

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    Indeed it should be. That 1.20 is so close to the 1.00! I got the correct answer now. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook