• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Angular momentum of a particle system

• Thread starter jhu2011
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

Calculate the total angular momentum of the system of particles pictured in Figure P.10 about the origin at 0. Figure is at www.webassign.net/reese1/p10-10.gif.

2. Homework Equations

L = r X p

p = mv

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Since you are taking a vector product, there is no i or j component to the angular momentum, meaning there will just be k perpendicular to the plane. I read somewhere that when doing a system of particles, you should take the angular momentum of each separate particle and then add it up. However, when I do this I don't get the right answer... Using L = r X p:

For 1st 3m: -4i + 2j X -3i = 6k
For 1st 2m: 1i + 2j X 2i = -4k
For 2nd 2m: 1i -2j X 2j = 2k

And 6 - 4 + 2 = 4k, which is NOT the right answer. I don't know what I've done wrong...
1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
1. Homework Statement

Calculate the total angular momentum of the system of particles pictured in Figure P.10 about the origin at 0. Figure is at www.webassign.net/reese1/p10-10.gif.

2. Homework Equations

L = r X p
p = mv

Since you are taking a vector product, there is no i or j component to the angular momentum, meaning there will just be k perpendicular to the plane. I read somewhere that when doing a system of particles, you should take the angular momentum of each separate particle and then add it up. However, when I do this I don't get the right answer... Using L = r X p:

For 1st 3m: -4i + 2j X -3i = 6k
For 1st 2m: 1i + 2j X 2i = -4k
For 2nd 2m: 1i -2j X 2j = 2k

And 6 - 4 + 2 = 4k, which is NOT the right answer. I don't know what I've done wrong...
Welcome to PF.

Your 3rd r vector should be <1.2i, -2j> shouldn't it?

Welcome to PF.

Your 3rd r vector should be <1.2i, -2j> shouldn't it?
Indeed it should be. That 1.20 is so close to the 1.00! I got the correct answer now. Thanks a lot!