Angular Momentum of a rotating mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating bob on a horizontal circular path. The initial and final angular momentums and velocities are calculated using the equations L = Iω and v = rω, but the resulting answer does not match the expected one due to the changing angle theta. It is suggested to use Newton's laws to find theta and then apply it to the conservation of angular momentum equation. Additionally, it is noted that gravity plays a role in the motion of the rotating bob.
grassstrip1
blob.jpg
1. Homework Statement

When the 3.2-kg bob is given a horizontal speed of 1.5 m/s, it begins to rotate around the horizontal circular path A. The force F on the cord is increased, the bob rises and then rotates around the horizontal circular path B. (picture included)

Homework Equations

L = I ω v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution from the book goes into a long procedure with summation of forces to find the angle etc. I tried this

Since there is no moment about the z axis angular momentum is conserved about the z axis. I1ω1 = I2ω2
For a particle I= mr2 so initially, I = (3.2)(0.6sinθ)2 and after I = (3.2)(0.3sinθ)2. For ω, initially it is (0.6)(sinθ)(1.5m/s) at the end is is (0.3sinθ)(v2)

Setting these equal to each other and solving gives v=12m/s But the answer is 2m/s Not sure where I am going wrong. Thank you!

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to mark theta on your diagram. I assume it is the angle the chord makes with the z axis. If so, it will not be the same in both positions.
As the tension increases, the "orbit" becomes more horizontal and theta changes.

Ah that would explain it. I think i need to find theta using Newton's laws. Then I can apply it to the conservation of angular momentum.

Thank You.

Remember that the reason the ball is not just spinning with the chord horizontal, is gravity. The tension in the chord is providing the opposition to gravity as well as centripetal force.

1. What is angular momentum of a rotating mass?

Angular momentum of a rotating mass is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the object.

2. How is angular momentum of a rotating mass calculated?

The angular momentum of a rotating mass can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) with the angular velocity (ω) of the object. The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a rotating mass?

The angular momentum of a rotating mass is affected by its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and the radius of rotation. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the angular momentum of the object.

4. How does angular momentum of a rotating mass relate to conservation of angular momentum?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a rotating mass will remain constant as long as there is no external torque acting on it.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum of a rotating mass?

Some common examples of angular momentum of a rotating mass include a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, a spinning figure skater, and a rotating planet like Earth. In these cases, the angular momentum of the object is conserved and can be observed in their rotational motion.