1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum operators on matrix form

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi.

I'm given a 3-dimensional subspace [itex]H[/itex] that is made up of the states [itex]|1,-1\rangle[/itex], [itex]|1,0\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|1,1\rangle[/itex] with the states defined as [itex]|l,m\rangle[/itex] and [itex]l=1[/itex] as you can see.

The usual operator relations for [itex]L_{z}[/itex] and [itex]L^{2}[/itex] applies, and also:
    [tex]L_{+} = L_{x}+iL_{y}[/tex]
    [tex]L_{-} = L_{x}-iL_{y}[/tex]

Then I'm told to express the operators [itex]L_{+}[/itex] and [itex]L_{-}[/itex] in [itex]H[/itex].

The answer for [itex]L_{+}[/itex] is supposed to be:
    [tex]{{L}_{+}}=\sqrt{2}\hbar \left[ \begin{matrix}
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    \end{matrix} \right]
    [/tex]
    And the transposed for [itex]L_{-}[/itex]

But I'm really not sure how that is found.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The [itex]\sqrt{2}\hbar[/itex] probably comes from the fact that:
    [tex]{{L}_{\pm }}\left| l,m \right\rangle =\sqrt{l\left( l+1 \right)-m\left( m\pm 1 \right)}\hbar \left| l,m \right\rangle[/tex]

But I can't figure out why the entries in the matrix is like that.
    My first thought was that it should be diagonal, as it was made up of the 3 bases, but as you can see, it is not diagonal.

So I was hoping someone could explain what I'm missing out ?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    I don't think that is right; it should change the value of m, and also m may not be greater than [itex]\ell[/itex].

This acts on column vector that has the first row for m = -1, the second row for m =0, and the third row for m= 1.

The first row of the matrix is all zero because no matter what, when [itex]L_{+}[/itex] acts on a state, there is never anything remaining in the m = -1 position. The second row takes whatever was in the m = -1 position and moves it to the m=0 position (multiplied by a constant). The third row of the the matrix takes whatever is in the m=0 and moves it to m =1 position, multiplied by a constant.

This was a conceptual question and not a homework exercise, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted