Angular momentum problem (ball sticking to one end of a see saw)

In summary, the problem involves a 4.80 ball being dropped onto one end of a uniform bar, pivoting at its center, with a mass of 7.00 and a length of 8.60. The other end of the bar has an unattached 5.40 ball. After the collision, the dropped ball sticks to the bar. The attempted solution involves conserving angular momentum and using kinetic and potential energy equations, but there are concerns about units and the actual question being asked.

Homework Statement

A 4.80 ball is dropped from a height of 15.0 above one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has mass 7.00 and is 8.60 in length. At the other end of the bar sits another 5.40 ball, unattached to the bar. The dropped ball sticks to the bar after the collision.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at doing this was to conserve angular momentum. so it is initially mvr where r is half of the length of the rod and v is the velocity found by equating kinetic energy with potential energy. then i set this equal to Iw of the final system but i don't know how to find I of this. I figured once i had I i could find w and set v of ball to wr and then use conservation of energy again to find the hight the ball rose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two issues: 1. what are your units? and 2. what is the question?

AM

What is the Angular Momentum Problem?

The Angular Momentum Problem refers to the situation where a ball sticks to one end of a see saw, causing the see saw to rotate and violate the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

Why is the Angular Momentum Problem important?

The Angular Momentum Problem is important because it challenges our understanding of the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which is a fundamental concept in physics. It also has real-life applications, such as in sports where understanding angular momentum is crucial for performing certain movements.

How does the Angular Momentum Problem occur?

The Angular Momentum Problem occurs when an external force, such as friction or air resistance, acts on the ball as it travels along the see saw. This external force causes the ball to stick to one end of the see saw, altering the distribution of mass and therefore the angular momentum of the system.

What factors affect the Angular Momentum Problem?

The Angular Momentum Problem is affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the ball, the distance between the ball and the pivot point of the see saw, and the external forces acting on the system. The shape and material of the see saw can also play a role.

How can the Angular Momentum Problem be solved?

There are various ways to solve the Angular Momentum Problem, such as reducing the external forces acting on the system, adjusting the mass and distribution of mass on the see saw, and changing the shape or material of the see saw. Understanding and controlling these factors can help prevent the ball from sticking to one end of the see saw and maintain the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

Suggested for: Angular momentum problem (ball sticking to one end of a see saw)

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back