Angular Momentum Problem formula

In summary, The conversation is about a problem dealing with conservation of angular momentum. The formula for the change in angular momentum is discussed and the correct answer is found using the sum of all moments formula. The attached image of the problem is also referenced.
blue-steel
Ive been trying to figure this problem for a while and I am stumped, If anyone has any ideas
Id really appreciate it - The problem deals with conservation of angular momentum
and the answer is provided but I don't know how to get there

please see the attached image of the problem>>

Attachments

• DynamicsProblem.JPG
    DynamicsProblem.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi blue-steel,

blue-steel said:
Ive been trying to figure this problem for a while and I am stumped, If anyone has any ideas
Id really appreciate it - The problem deals with conservation of angular momentum

I don't think that is right; this problem deals not with the conservation of angular momentum, but with the change in angular momentum. What formula gives you the change in angular momentum of a system?

Once you have that formula, you can almost just plug in the numbers to get your answer. What do you get?

Hi alphaphysicist

I tried the Sum of all moments = change in angular momentum formula, it took me a while to figure out how to work with the cross products but I got the answer in the end, thanks :wink:

1. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L represents angular momentum, I represents the moment of inertia, and ω represents angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, while linear momentum is a measure of the translational motion of an object. Angular momentum takes into account an object's mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity, while linear momentum only takes into account an object's mass and velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated using the object's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation. The moment of inertia is directly proportional to the angular momentum of an object, meaning that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a larger angular momentum for the same angular velocity.

4. Can the angular momentum of an object change?

Yes, the angular momentum of an object can change if there is a change in its moment of inertia or angular velocity. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of the angular momentum formula?

The angular momentum formula is used in many fields of science and engineering, including astronomy, mechanics, and fluid dynamics. Some specific examples of its application include calculating the angular momentum of rotating objects in space, predicting the stability of rotating structures, and determining the angular momentum of fluids in motion.