Angular Momentum - Train Placed on a Wheel

In summary, the problem involves a track mounted on a wheel, with a toy train placed on the track. The train reaches a steady speed of 0.176 m/s with respect to the track, and the wheel has a mass of 1.97 times the train's mass and a radius of 0.584 m. The question asks for the angular speed of the wheel, treating it as a hoop and neglecting the mass of the spokes and hub. After setting up the necessary equations, the solution is obtained by finding the train's actual speed in relation to the ground and using it to replace Vt in the equation Va = Vt - Vw = Vt - Xr. The final answer is X = 0
Crusher8576
I've been trying this problem for a while now and can't seem to get the given answer. I know I'm probably making an elementary mistake somewhere but I can't find it.

Homework Statement

A track is mounted on a large wheel that is free to turn with negligible friction about a vertical axis. A toy train of mass m is placed on the track and, with the system initially at rest, the train's electrical power is turned on. The train reaches a steady speed of 0.176 m/s with respect to the track. What is the angular speed of the wheel if its mass is 1.97m and its radius is 0.584 m? (Treat the wheel as a hoop, and neglect the mass of the spokes and hub.) (Answer 0.101 rad/s)

Ok so:
Vt= .176 m/s
mt= M
m2= 1.97M
r= 0.584m
I2=m2r2
Xf= ?
(X is angular velocity, subscript t for train and 2 for wheel)

Homework Equations

L=IX=rmv
Li=Lf
Lt+L2=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set it up with the initial equation
Lt = -L2
rmtvt = IX

Then expanded and substituted for corresponding masses
rMv = 1.97Mr2X

M cancels and so does an r, so
vt = 1.97rX

Then substitute the values
.176 = 1.97(.584)(X)

I get a final answer of
X = .153 rad/s

The answer is supposed to be .101 rad/s which I can't seem to get.Also I used X for angular speed instead of omega because the text formatting wasn't working, and about 4 different symbols showed up instead of omega. Not sure why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Crusher8576! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
Crusher8576 said:
A track is mounted on a large wheel that is free to turn with negligible friction about a vertical axis. A toy train of mass m is placed on the track and, with the system initially at rest, the train's electrical power is turned on. The train reaches a steady speed of 0.176 m/s with respect to the track. What is the angular speed of the wheel if its mass is 1.97m and its radius is 0.584 m? (Treat the wheel as a hoop, and neglect the mass of the spokes and hub.) (Answer 0.101 rad/s)

I get a final answer of
X = .153 rad/s

The answer is supposed to be .101 rad/s which I can't seem to get.

hmm … I got the same answer as you until I read the question more carefully. :redface:

To find L, you need the actual speed of the train, which isn't 0.176, is it? :smile:

Aha I've got it. Thanks for the help.

If anyone was wondering how to do it:

The wheel is spinning in the opposite direction of the train, so the train may have a speed of .176, but that's in relation to the track. I had to find the actual speed of the train in relation to the ground.

So in the part where I have vt = 1.97rX, replace the Vt with what I called Va (for V actual), and also created Vw for (V wheel).

And Va = Vt - Vw = Vt - Xr

So then we're left with Vt - Xr = 1.97rX to solve for X.

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a train placed on a wheel?

In the case of a train placed on a wheel, the train's mass and velocity contribute to the overall angular momentum of the system. As the train moves along the wheel's circumference, it experiences a change in direction, causing a change in its angular velocity and thus, its angular momentum.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects within the system.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect angular momentum?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to achieve the same angular velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum for the same angular velocity.

5. What factors can affect the angular momentum of a train on a wheel?

The angular momentum of a train on a wheel can be affected by the mass and velocity of the train, as well as the moment of inertia of the wheel. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact the train's angular momentum.