Angular Velocity Keeping Strings Taut

In summary: You should get an equation in terms of m, g, R, θ, and ω. You then need to solve this equation for ω.In summary, a ball of mass m attached to a vertical rod by two strings, rotating at constant angular velocity ω, experiences a tension force of T1 = mg/cosθ in the direction of the rod's axis and a tension force of T2 = mgsinθ + mω²R in the direction towards the center of the circular path. To find the minimum angular velocity ω_min for which the lower string remains taut, set T2 = 0 and solve for ω, using the equation v = ωR.
newtophysics2

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m is attached by two strings to a vertical rod. as shown in the diagram attached. The entire system rotates at constant angular velocity ω about the axis of the rod.

a)Assuming ω is large enough to keep both strings taut, find the force each string exerts on the ball in terms of ω, m, g, R, and θ.

b)Find the minimum angular velocity, θ_min for which the lower string barely remains taut.

Homework Equations

F_centripetal=mv2/r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

A) To keep the strings taut, the net force in the y-axis and the x-axis have to both equal 0. I used forces and tension, but my answer didn't contain ω, but I feel like it should...
T1 tension is making θ angle with the vertical
T1cosθ along vertical upward
T1sinθ along horizental i.e towards the center of the circular path
applying ΣFy =0 ΣFx =0
T1cosθ=mg
T1=mg/cosθ
T1sinθ+T2=mv2/R
T2=mgsinθ+mv2/R

B) I would solve for v from the equations above, but the question doesn't say that I can use T (tension) in my answer...

What am I doing wrong in this problem? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    2 KB · Views: 1,496
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity and angular velocity are related by,

v = ωR

Also,

b)Find the minimum angular velocity, θ_min for which the lower string barely remains taut.

should read,

b)Find the minimum angular velocity, ω_min for which the lower string barely remains taut.

Ok, thanks! So did I do part A correctly? And for part B, do I just set T2=0 and then substitute v=ωR to solve for ω?

newtophysics2 said:
A) To keep the strings taut, the net force in the y-axis and the x-axis have to both equal 0.
No. The complete equation is Fnet=ma. There is an acceleration, so the net force must provide that.

haruspex said:
No. The complete equation is Fnet=ma. There is an acceleration, so the net force must provide that.

How do I determine the acceleration? So is my solution wrong?

newtophysics2 said:
How do I determine the acceleration? So is my solution wrong?
You already correctly used it in your equations, here:
T1sinθ+T2=mv2/R
I was just pointing out that your comment that the net force in the x direction is 0 was wrong.
T1cosθ=mg
T1=mg/cosθ
T1sinθ+T2=mv2/R
T2=mgsinθ+mv2/R
I don't think that last equation follows from the ones before.
Also, part requires you to find the tensions in terms of ω, m, g, R, and θ, not v. So you need Spinnor's equation there..
For part B, yes, put T2 = 0 and find ω.

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving in a circular path. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. Why is it important to keep strings taut in angular velocity experiments?

In experiments involving angular velocity, it is important to keep strings taut to ensure that the object being rotated is moving in a circular path. This helps to accurately measure the object's angular velocity and prevents any external forces from affecting the results.

3. How can I calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is change in angular displacement, and Δt is change in time.

4. What factors can affect the tautness of strings in an experiment?

The tautness of strings in an experiment can be affected by factors such as the weight of the object being rotated, the tension in the string, and any external forces acting on the string. The type and thickness of the string can also impact its tautness.

5. How can I ensure that strings remain taut during an angular velocity experiment?

To ensure that strings remain taut during an experiment, it is important to use a strong and sturdy string, keep the string at a constant tension, and regularly check and adjust the string's tautness during the experiment. It is also helpful to limit any external forces or disturbances that could affect the string's tautness.