Angular vs Radial Acceleration

In summary: Just wrong value for r. It is important to pay attention to units!In summary, the Cosmoclock 21 Ferris Wheel in Yokohama City, Japan has a diameter of 100m and features 60 arms that function as second hands, making one revolution every 60.0 seconds. Using the equation d=vt, the speed of passengers on the wheel when it is rotating at this rate is 5.235m/s. To find the apparent weight of a passenger at the lowest point of the wheel, the equation F=ma is used, where the mass is found to be 89.9kg. Using the radial acceleration formula a=v^2/r, an incorrect value was obtained due to using the
DaveTan

Homework Statement

The cosmoclock 21 Ferris Wheel in Yokohama City, Japan, has a diameter of 100m. Its name comes from its 60 arms, each of which can function as a second hand (so it makes one revolution every 60.0s).

a) Find the speed of the passengers when the Ferris wheel is rotating at this rate [No problem]
b) A passenger weighs 882N at the weight-guessing booth on the ground. What is his apparent weight at the lowest point of the ferris wheel?

Homework Equations

d = vt
arad = v^2.r
w = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem with part a.

distance = 2pi r = 314.1m
velocity = 314.1/60 = 5.235m/s

It is part b where I get confused. I get it right till the step to use acceleration. I use radial acceleration and get it wrong, googled the question and someone used angular acceleration. I used his angular acceleration value and my answer was correct. But I am wondering why use angular acceleration instead of radial?

Weight on ground = 882N
Mass = 89.9 kg

F = ma
Nb - mg = ma
Nb = m (a +g)

*This is the part where I use radial acceleration
a = v2/r
a = 0.1745m/s2

Nb = 89.9 (0.1745+9.81)
Nb = 897.6N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to physicsforums :)
the equation you are using a=v2/r is the correct one. And your value for the velocity is good. I think you made a mistake in doing the calculation v2/r. what values did you use? Remember you should be using radius, not diameter.

Hey Bruce! Haha you are right! Opps! Thank you!

no worries! glad to help :) Your method was good.

1. What is the difference between angular and radial acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the speed at which an object rotates around an axis. Radial acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the acceleration of an object towards or away from the center of a circular path.

2. How are angular and radial acceleration related?

Angular acceleration and radial acceleration are related through the equation a = ω²r, where a is the radial acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the radial acceleration.

3. Which type of acceleration is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion?

Radial acceleration is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion. This is because it constantly changes the direction of the object's velocity, causing it to move in a circular path.

4. How can angular and radial acceleration be measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which measures the rate of change of angular velocity. Radial acceleration can be measured using a force sensor, which measures the force acting on an object as it moves along a circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular and radial acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be seen in objects such as spinning tops, merry-go-rounds, and the Earth's rotation around its axis. Radial acceleration can be observed in objects moving in circular paths, such as a car on a roundabout or a satellite orbiting the Earth.