1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular vs Radial Acceleration

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The cosmoclock 21 Ferris Wheel in Yokohama City, Japan, has a diameter of 100m. Its name comes from its 60 arms, each of which can function as a second hand (so it makes one revolution every 60.0s).

a) Find the speed of the passengers when the Ferris wheel is rotating at this rate [No problem]
    b) A passenger weighs 882N at the weight-guessing booth on the ground. What is his apparent weight at the lowest point of the ferris wheel?

2. Relevant equations
    d = vt
    arad = v^2.r
    w = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no problem with part a.

distance = 2pi r = 314.1m
    velocity = 314.1/60 = 5.235m/s

It is part b where I get confused. I get it right till the step to use acceleration. I use radial acceleration and get it wrong, googled the question and someone used angular acceleration. I used his angular acceleration value and my answer was correct. But I am wondering why use angular acceleration instead of radial?

Weight on ground = 882N
    Mass = 89.9 kg

F = ma
    Nb - mg = ma
    Nb = m (a +g)

*This is the part where I use radial acceleration
    a = v2/r
    a = 0.1745m/s2

Nb = 89.9 (0.1745+9.81)
    Nb = 897.6N

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Hi, welcome to physicsforums :)
    the equation you are using a=v2/r is the correct one. And your value for the velocity is good. I think you made a mistake in doing the calculation v2/r. what values did you use? Remember you should be using radius, not diameter.

4. Apr 17, 2015 #3
    Hey Bruce! Haha you are right! Opps!! Thank you!

5. Apr 17, 2015 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

no worries! glad to help :) Your method was good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted