Angular ,Radial,linear accelerations

• Thread starter RevX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation revolves around a car going around a corner with a radius of 68m. Its speed is 19m/s and increasing at a rate of 3.2m/s^2. The questions asked are about the angular speed and acceleration, total linear acceleration, and radial acceleration after 1.4 seconds if the angular acceleration remains constant. The equations used in the conversation are alpha=.047rad/s^2 for the first question, and 6.2 m/s^2 for the second question. The third question is still unclear and further clarification is needed.
RevX

Homework Statement

A car is going around a corner with a radius of 68m. At one instant, its speed is 19m/s and its speed is increasing at a rate of 3.2m/s^2.
What are the angular speed and the angular acceleration of the car at this instant?
What is the total linear acceleration of the car?
If the angular acceleration remains constant, what will the radial acceleration be after 1.4s?

Homework Equations

I got alpha=.047rad/s^2 for the first one with aTan/r=alpha
6.2 m/s^2 for the second with aRad^2+3.2^2 under square root
I am lost on the 3rd

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I find the radial acceleration after 1.4 seconds if the angular acceleration remains constant?

I guess I have a hard question?
Im thinking to solve this is by using the constant formulas. I really am confused on this tho.

How did you calculate the radial acceleration when the speed is 19m/s? You did not show this.
Do you know how to calculate this one?

Part A and B did not ask for radial acceleration.
A) what are the angular speed and angular acceleration of the car at this instant?
B) What is the total linear acceleration of the car?

C) If the angular acceleration remains constant, what will the radial acceleration be after 1.4s?
Unless I am not understanding your question

So how did you calculate linear acceleration?
What do you mean by
"aRad^2+3.2^2 under square root"?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It measures how fast an object's angular velocity is changing over a specific period of time. It is typically measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is radial acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Radial acceleration and linear acceleration are both types of accelerations, but they act in different directions. Radial acceleration is the acceleration towards or away from the center of a circle, while linear acceleration is the acceleration in a straight line. Radial acceleration is also known as centripetal acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between angular and linear acceleration?

The relationship between angular and linear acceleration is that they are related by the radius of the circle. The formula for this relationship is a = αr, where a is the linear acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How can angular acceleration be calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula α = (ω2 - ω1) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, ω2 is the final angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. What are some real world examples of angular, radial, and linear accelerations?

Some examples of angular acceleration include the spinning of a top or a gyroscope, the rotation of a wheel on a car, or the swinging of a pendulum. Radial acceleration can be seen in the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun or satellites around Earth. Linear acceleration is observed in the movement of objects in a straight line, such as a car accelerating from a stop or a person jumping off a diving board.