Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Animals and laughter

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always suspected my cat got my jokes..
    :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

He's probably just acting polite, like the rest of us... :tongue:

4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Ivan, for linking the threads up. I had not seen that other article. I've always been curious about what laughter is - why people do it, but animals don't, and what purpose it serves.

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other thread is pretty old and had not been active. :smile:

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6
    smiling dog contest My dog thinks shes funny, she does something she finds amuseing and you can almost see her smirk. She also smiles.

8. Mar 31, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Ha! The disguise continues to hold...

9. Mar 31, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen certain breeds of dogs that smile - or at least their facial muscles certainly produce something that gives that effect. The first time I saw it was when a friend's Australian Shepherd dog smiled at me. It gave me a chill - it was totally unexpected!

My parents' neighbors have a Doberman named Vanna. Vanna smiles all the time - just loves to show her teeth. :biggrin: From what I hear she is just a big ol' love bug and gentle as a lamb. Of course it scares the heck out of anyone who comes the door because what they think they are seeing is a vicious snarling Doberman! :bugeye:

10. Mar 31, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember that thread! I had been about to start a thread about prairie dogs that were using the same means of communication, but it was so similar to your article, I didn't.

11. Mar 31, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

You Yanks are a little backward, aren't you? Our gophers used to whistle, but now that cell phones are small enough to fit their paws... :biggrin:

12. Mar 31, 2005 #11
  13. Mar 31, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ooooh! I am gonna have to get that book! Thanks for the recommendation!

14. Mar 31, 2005 #13
    Danger, you're a riot!
    That had me laughing, heh.

15. Mar 31, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I wish I could tell if that was sarcasm or not... :frown:

16. Mar 31, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

So much has happened since I last posted (I've actually had to work!). Evo changed her avatar again--Evo you are so pretty. :biggrin:

Okay, sorta on the topic... Once I was shopping for a birthday card and found one that said: "Muskrats don't celebrate birthdays... I say 'no' to the Muskrat way." I thought it was so funny, but no one else did.

Anyway, dogs seem to use facial expressions. Cats just don't bother much--well except when they're pissed off.

17. Apr 1, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try saying that out loud! It's more of a tongue twister than it appears! :bugeye:

18. Apr 1, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Dudette, didn't you learn anything from Gale17? You're supposed to use your "internal monologue" when you read. :rofl:

19. Apr 1, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I've played regular Twister, but this sounds more interesting...

20. Apr 1, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, maybe it's a brain twister too! I can't even think it right. :tongue2:

21. Apr 1, 2005 #20

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I never believed that dog laugh story until I saw it first hand. It was Christmas eve. The cat climbed up into the xmas tree, bit a bulb and was electrocuted in front of the entire family. The dog barked and drug herself to the kitchen to feed [they do that a lot] on two legs - she had laughed her a$$ off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?