1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Animals and laughter

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always suspected my cat got my jokes..
    :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

He's probably just acting polite, like the rest of us... :tongue:

4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Ivan, for linking the threads up. I had not seen that other article. I've always been curious about what laughter is - why people do it, but animals don't, and what purpose it serves.

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other thread is pretty old and had not been active. :smile:

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6
    smiling dog contest My dog thinks shes funny, she does something she finds amuseing and you can almost see her smirk. She also smiles.

8. Mar 31, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Ha! The disguise continues to hold...

9. Mar 31, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen certain breeds of dogs that smile - or at least their facial muscles certainly produce something that gives that effect. The first time I saw it was when a friend's Australian Shepherd dog smiled at me. It gave me a chill - it was totally unexpected!

My parents' neighbors have a Doberman named Vanna. Vanna smiles all the time - just loves to show her teeth. :biggrin: From what I hear she is just a big ol' love bug and gentle as a lamb. Of course it scares the heck out of anyone who comes the door because what they think they are seeing is a vicious snarling Doberman! :bugeye:

10. Mar 31, 2005 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember that thread! I had been about to start a thread about prairie dogs that were using the same means of communication, but it was so similar to your article, I didn't.

11. Mar 31, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

You Yanks are a little backward, aren't you? Our gophers used to whistle, but now that cell phones are small enough to fit their paws... :biggrin:

12. Mar 31, 2005 #11
  13. Mar 31, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ooooh! I am gonna have to get that book! Thanks for the recommendation!

14. Mar 31, 2005 #13
    Danger, you're a riot!
    That had me laughing, heh.

15. Mar 31, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I wish I could tell if that was sarcasm or not... :frown:

16. Mar 31, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

So much has happened since I last posted (I've actually had to work!). Evo changed her avatar again--Evo you are so pretty. :biggrin:

Okay, sorta on the topic... Once I was shopping for a birthday card and found one that said: "Muskrats don't celebrate birthdays... I say 'no' to the Muskrat way." I thought it was so funny, but no one else did.

Anyway, dogs seem to use facial expressions. Cats just don't bother much--well except when they're pissed off.

17. Apr 1, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try saying that out loud! It's more of a tongue twister than it appears! :bugeye:

18. Apr 1, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Dudette, didn't you learn anything from Gale17? You're supposed to use your "internal monologue" when you read. :rofl:

19. Apr 1, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I've played regular Twister, but this sounds more interesting...

20. Apr 1, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, maybe it's a brain twister too! I can't even think it right. :tongue2:

21. Apr 1, 2005 #20

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never believed that dog laugh story until I saw it first hand. It was Christmas eve. The cat climbed up into the xmas tree, bit a bulb and was electrocuted in front of the entire family. The dog barked and drug herself to the kitchen to feed [they do that a lot] on two legs - she had laughed her a$$ off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?