Another 3rd degree polynomial question

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty with remembering how to solve 3rd degree polynomials, specifically in an eigenvalue problem. The person asks for clarification and is given a resource to help with factoring the polynomial correctly.
snoggerT
-x^3-5x^2+135x-150

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm still having a hard time remembering how to do 3rd degree polynomials. If somebody could explain this to me, that would be great. This is actually part of an eigenvalue problem and I need to factor it so I can get my eigenvalues.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that is the correct polynomial you got? You should either post the eigenvalue/vector problem or re-check your work. As the "normal" methods you would use to solve a polynomial will not work for that one.

(Really really not nice answers!)

But anyhow to really answer your question what you need is http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110248/algebra/remfactintro.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me go back and rework the problem. It's very possible I screwed my math up...seem to be doing that a lot tonight.

1. What is a 3rd degree polynomial equation?

A 3rd degree polynomial equation is an algebraic expression that contains a variable raised to the 3rd power, as well as other terms with lower powers. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a 3rd degree polynomial equation?

To solve a 3rd degree polynomial equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, or long division. The method used will depend on the specific equation and its factors.

3. What are the possible number of solutions for a 3rd degree polynomial equation?

A 3rd degree polynomial equation can have up to three solutions, also known as roots. However, it is possible for the equation to have fewer or no real solutions. This can be determined by looking at the equation's graph or by using the discriminant.

4. Can a 3rd degree polynomial equation have complex solutions?

Yes, a 3rd degree polynomial equation can have complex solutions, which are solutions that involve imaginary numbers. This can occur when the equation has no real solutions or when the solutions are not rational numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of 3rd degree polynomial equations?

3rd degree polynomial equations can be used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, projectile motion, and the behavior of certain electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in economics, engineering, and physics.