Another Analysis question: continuity and compactness

In summary, if I = [0,1] is a closed unit interval and f is a continuous mapping from I to I, then for at least one x an element of I, f(x) = x. This can be proven by considering the function g(x) = f(x) - x and showing that it must equal 0 for at least one x in I due to a theorem that guarantees a zero-crossing for continuous functions on compact intervals.
TaylorWatts
Let I = [0,1] be the closed unit interval. Suppose f is a continuous mapping from I to I. Prove that for one x an element of I, f(x) = x.

Proof:

Since [0,1] is compact and f is continuous, f is uniformly continuous.

This is where I'm stuck. I'm wondering if I can use the fact that since max {|x-y| = 1} if |x-y| = 1 then f(x) - f(y) < max {episolin}. This of course only occurs when WLOG x=1 y=0.

Stuck as far as the rest of it goes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the function [itex]g : I \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] given by [itex]g \left( x \right) = f \left( x \right) - x[/itex]. What happens if [itex]g \left( x \right) = 0[/itex] for some [itex]x[/itex]? How can you show that this has to happen in [itex]I[/itex]? I'm sure you must know a nice theorem that you can use here.

1. What is continuity in mathematical analysis?

Continuity in mathematical analysis is a property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, a function is continuous if the limit of the function at a point is equal to the function value at that point.

2. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts in mathematical analysis. A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point and the derivative exists. In other words, continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability.

3. What is the relationship between continuity and compactness?

Continuity and compactness are both properties of a topological space. A set is compact if every open cover of the set has a finite subcover. Continuity plays a role in compactness because a continuous function preserves compactness, meaning that if the input set is compact, the output set will also be compact.

4. How do you prove continuity of a function?

To prove that a function is continuous at a point, you must show that the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the function value at that point. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, where you choose a small value for epsilon and find a corresponding value for delta that ensures the function values stay within epsilon of the limit.

5. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. This can happen if the function has a sharp point or corner, known as a point of discontinuity, where the limit of the function does not exist. For example, the absolute value function is continuous but not differentiable at x=0.