Another circuit diagram simplifying question (harder)

In summary, Ouabache is right that the battery can be in the middle, and Marloni is thinking of how to use Kirchhoff's laws to find the net resistance. However, Marloni is not sure how to do it and needs help.
F|234K
here's the problem

i want to find the net resistance. the only problem i think i have is that i don't know how to change the diagram so that the battery isn't in the middle of the circuit (i only know how to do questions where the battery is connected like a single complete path, which this particular problem sort of has 2 paths).

Physics news on Phys.org
It's easy and starightforexard to calculate the substitution resitance for the triangle on the right hand side from the battery right? Once you have done that you will need to apply Kirchhoff's laws expressing the conservation of charge and energy.

The battery can be in the middle, that should not be a problem

regards
marlon

i have thought of that : using kirchhoffs rules to find the net resistance. but i have no idea how the rules relates to resistance.

F|234K said:
i have thought of that : using kirchhoffs rules to find the net resistance. but i have no idea how the rules relates to resistance.

The conservation of energy requires that the sum of all potentials are zero in each chain. Then use Ohm's law to bring the resistance. it will work like that. Don't forget to apply conservation of charge also...

good luck

marlon

i think i did it the way you told me to, but then i got the wrong answer. my answer is 43.3333, but the right answer is 50...

can you please show me how to do it?

i think the diagram can be simplify into this...but can you please show me what to do next?

if you simplify the left side to a 120 ohm resistor, then I am pretty sure you can consider the 120 ohm and the 60 ohm on the right as a series resistor

Im probably wrong though. I never was good with kirschoff's rules.

hm...well can you please tell what you might do FIRST in order to find the net resistance?

http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/circuitreduction2.JPG

Im sure of all that. What happens after that I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got to the point where you got. but then i don't know how to find the net resistance when the battery is in the middle...

Whosum said:
if you simplify the left side to a 120 ohm resistor, then I am pretty sure you can consider the 120 ohm and the 60 ohm on the right as a series resistor

Whosum is partly right in taking the 3 resistors on the left and noticing there are in series. Once you have that combined, notice that the right side (60ohms) is now in parallel with the left side (because they share a common node at both their ends)..

Once you combine the left side in parallel with the right, the rest should become clear..

oh...i get it. thanks a lot Ouabache for your last implication. thanks very much everyone.

1. How do I simplify a circuit diagram?

Simplifying a circuit diagram involves first identifying the basic elements of the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and power sources. Then, use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to determine the relationships between these elements and simplify the circuit accordingly.

2. Can I simplify a circuit diagram without changing its functionality?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a circuit diagram without changing its overall functionality. This is done by reducing the number of components or rearranging them in a more efficient way while still maintaining the same circuit connections and relationships.

3. How do I determine which elements in a circuit diagram can be simplified?

The key to determining which elements in a circuit diagram can be simplified is to look for components that are connected in parallel or series. Parallel components can be simplified by using the equivalent resistance formula, while series components can be simplified by adding their individual resistances.

4. Are there any software tools available for simplifying circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are various software tools available, such as circuit simulation software, that can help you simplify circuit diagrams. These tools allow you to input the circuit diagram and automatically simplify it, saving you time and effort.

5. Can simplifying a circuit diagram improve its performance?

In some cases, simplifying a circuit diagram can improve its performance by reducing the overall resistance or increasing the efficiency of the circuit. However, it ultimately depends on the specific circuit and its intended purpose.