Another Giant Rat, this time from the Solomans

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a recently described species of giant rat found in the Solomon Islands sparked a reference to a Sherlock Holmes story. The original quote referenced the giant rat of Sumatra, but after further research, it was discovered that there are many giant rat species in nature. This phenomenon can be explained by Foster's Rule and the Theory of Island Biogeography. It is interesting to note that this trend also applies to other species, such as mini-elephants and mini-people found on isolated islands.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just read about a recently described species of rat in an article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/science/giant-rat-coconuts-solomon-islands.html?emc=edit_th_20170930&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=38810697
This, of course, reminded me of the famous line from a Sherlock Holmes story.
Holmes is one of my favorite literary characters and I consider Mr. Spock to be the second coming of Sherlock.

The original giant rat quote is:
"Matilda Briggs was not the name of a young woman, Watson, ... It was a ship which is associated with the giant rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet prepared."

After looking this up in wikipedia, I discovered there have (of course) are actually many Giant Rats in nature as well as in literature after Conan Doyle's story (see wikipedia article), some of which were not that unreasonable WRT the original quote (rats involved in disease transmission on a ship which becomes depopulated).

Likes jim mcnamara
Biology news on Phys.org
I reread all the Sherlock Homes stories about every ten years or so.

Giant vertebrates (and dwarf species, too) are common on isolated islands, first explained well by Foster's Rule and generalized by Theory of Island Biogeography. (R MacArthur and E O Wilson)

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_gigantism

Likes BillTre
I was about to say that big things will also tend to get smaller, but then I saw it in your link!

I was thinking mini-elephants and relatives (on many islands islands) and mini-people (the hobbits on Flores).

Can't resist

What is the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans?

The Another Giant Rat from the Solomans is a species of rodent that is native to the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific. It is known for its large size and unique appearance.

How big is the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans?

The Another Giant Rat from the Solomans can grow up to 3 feet long, making it one of the largest rat species in the world. It can also weigh up to 3 pounds.

What does the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans eat?

The Another Giant Rat from the Solomans is an omnivore, meaning it eats both plants and animals. Its diet consists of fruits, nuts, insects, and small reptiles.

Is the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans dangerous to humans?

No, the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans is not considered dangerous to humans. It is a shy and elusive species and will typically avoid human contact.

Is the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans endangered species?

Yes, the Another Giant Rat from the Solomans is considered an endangered species due to habitat loss and predation by invasive species. Conservation efforts are being made to protect and preserve this unique species.

Back