Question 6: Finding Y for Point of Slipping Up the Plane

• Thread starter DigitalSpark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary: I'm thinking maybe I should have used trigonometry in order to get the answer instead of just guessing?Unless they give you some indication as to one way or the other in a specific problem, then I would follow the "positive angles are counterclockwise from the +x axis" convention.
DigitalSpark

Homework Statement

Okay here's the first question which I done:

"Question 5: A body of mass 2kg is held in limiting equilibrium on a rough plane inclined at 20 degrees to the horizontal by a horizontal force X. The coefficient of friction between the body and the plane is 0.2. Modelling the body as a particle find X when the body is on the point of slipping:

a) up the plane.
b) down the plane."

It's the next question (which builds up on 5) which I'm having difficulty with.

"Question 6: The force X in Question 5 is replaced by a force Y at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. Find Y when the body is on the point of slipping down the plane."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay the answer in the book says 3.67N when I get 5N. I think I'm right but I can't be sure.

Heres my method:

Rn=mgcos20 + Ysin65 ---- Equation 1

Ff+Ycos65=mgsin20 ---- Equation 2

[tex]\mu[/tex]mgcos20+[tex]\mu[/tex]Ysin65+Ycos65=mgsin20

Y([tex]\mu[/tex]sin65+cos65)=mgsin20-[tex]\mu[/tex]mgcos20

Y=[tex]\frac{mgsin20-\mu mgcos20}{\mu sin65+cos65}[/tex] [tex]\approx[/tex]5N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DigitalSpark,

I believe when they said force Y is 45 degrees to the horizontal they meant +45 degrees, so force Y has an upwards vertical component. (Perhaps they would have specified -45 degrees the other way.)

When Y is 45 degrees above the horizontal I get Y=3.67N; when it is 45 degrees below the horizontal I get Y=5N.

alphysicist said:
Hi DigitalSpark,

I believe when they said force Y is 45 degrees to the horizontal they meant +45 degrees, so force Y has an upwards vertical component. (Perhaps they would have specified -45 degrees the other way.)

When Y is 45 degrees above the horizontal I get Y=3.67N; when it is 45 degrees below the horizontal I get Y=5N.

Okay but isn't Y 65 degrees to the plane?? What am I missing?

When the force Y is pointing 45 degrees below the horizontal, it is 65 degrees to the plane; in which case the force Y is pushing the box into the plane (increasing the normal force).

When it is 45 degrees above the horizontal, it is 25 degrees to the plane, and pushing the box away from the plane (decreasing the normal force).

alphysicist said:
When the force Y is pointing 45 degrees below the horizontal, it is 65 degrees to the plane; in which case the force Y is pushing the box into the plane (increasing the normal force).

When it is 45 degrees above the horizontal, it is 25 degrees to the plane, and pushing the box away from the plane (decreasing the normal force).

"Question 6: The force X in Question 5 is replaced by a force Y at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. Find Y when the body is on the point of slipping down the plane."

Okay so I just assume that the force is applied anti-clockwise as in with most Trig angles??

I don't think I have explained it to well with text, so I have uploaded a quick image to show you the two choices for vector Y that I mean.

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=70572227cq8.jpg

I think you were choosing the top one (that points downward and to the right) which points 45 degrees below the horizontal, but the book wants you to choose the one that points upward and to the right.

I'm not sure what you mean by the force is anti-clockwise; you break up the forces into components, and their directions indicate whether they are positive or negative.

EDIT: Oh, you must mean that the positive angles are anti-clockwise. That is a usual convention.

Last edited:
alphysicist said:
I don't think I have explained it to well with text, so I have uploaded a quick image to show you the two choices for vector Y that I mean.

I think you were choosing the top one (that points downward and to the right) which points 45 degrees below the horizontal, but the book wants you to choose the one that points upward and to the right.

I'm not sure what you mean by the force is anti-clockwise; you break up the forces into components, and their directions indicate whether they are positive or negative.

Yeah I choose the one that is points downward to the right. By anticlockwise, I mean the angle the line makes with the horizontal. Going anti-clockwise until it's 45 degrees.

But I simply added a 45 degree angle to X force. My problem is understanding the question I guess, where am I going wrong??

Should I ALWAYS make sure the angle is anti-clockwise and I can't go wrong??

Unless they give you some indication as to one way or the other in a specific problem, then I would follow the "positive angles are counterclockwise from the +x axis" convention.

alphysicist said:
Unless they give you some indication as to one way or the other in a specific problem, then I would follow the "positive angles are counterclockwise from the +x axis" convention.

Okay thanks.

alphysicist said:

One problem though. In the the a) part of question 6 it asked:

"Question 6: The force X in Question 5 is replaced by a force Y at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. Find Y when the body is on the point of slipping

a) up the plane."

And I basically used (-45 degrees). And I got the answer in the book. How do you explain that??

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It includes both the speed and direction of the object's motion. Acceleration, on the other hand, is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It describes how an object's velocity is changing over time, either by increasing or decreasing in magnitude or changing direction.

2. How is the force applied to an object related to its acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the amount of force applied to an object, the greater its resulting acceleration will be. However, the relationship between force and acceleration also depends on the mass of the object. The same amount of force will cause a greater acceleration in a lighter object compared to a heavier one.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving past each other when they are in contact and at rest relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that acts on two surfaces when they are in motion relative to each other. The force of kinetic friction is typically smaller than the force of static friction.

4. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, or the product of force and displacement. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its energy increases or decreases depending on the direction of the force applied.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in a collision remains constant, regardless of any changes in direction or speed. This is often used to analyze and predict the outcomes of collisions between objects.