Another Parallel/Series Circuits Question

• Engineering
  • Thread starter eatlsep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation is about combining resistors in a circuit and redrawing the circuit with nodes A and C on the left. The equation Rtot = R1+R2+R3...+Rn is mentioned, along with its inverse 1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...+1/Rn. The group discusses how R1 and R4 are in parallel, as well as R3 and R2. R5 connects nodes A and C, and R6 and R7 are also in parallel.
eatlsep
http://imgur.com/6NTHcSe
2. Rtot=R1+R2+R3...+Rn.
2a. 1/Rtot=1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...+1/Rn. 3. Not sure if I'm starting in the right place. I think R1 and R4 are in parallel combining them to take R4s position. Then R3 and R2 are in parallel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redraw the circuit with nodes A anc C on the left.

Some hints..

R5 connects A to C
R4 is indeed parallel with R1 so replace R4 with R4//R1

R3 and R2 are in parallel

No. R4//R1 is in series with R2 and they are both in parallel with R3

R6 and R7 are in parallel.

What is the difference between a parallel circuit and a series circuit?

A parallel circuit is one where the current flows through multiple branches, while a series circuit is one where the current flows through each component in a single path.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in each branch.

How do you calculate the total current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total current is the same at all points, so you can calculate it using Ohm's law: I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the total resistance.

What happens to the current in a parallel circuit if one branch is removed?

If one branch is removed in a parallel circuit, the current in the remaining branches will increase because there is less total resistance for the current to flow through.

Why do parallel circuits have a higher total current than series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, the current is split between multiple branches, so each branch has a lower resistance and therefore more current can flow through. In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, so there is less current flowing through each component.