Calculate resistance between terminals 1 and 2, 1 and 4....

In summary, when you calculate equivalent resistances between nodes in a circuit, it can be helpful to imagine a battery connected between the nodes.
hannah_e
Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 21.21.28.png

Question
Calculate resistance between terminals 1 and 2, 1 and 4, 1 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 4, and 2 and 3

My attempt of solution:
For R between 1 and 2 i done: (R1 + R2) || (R1 +R2 + R3)

The problem is:
Im not sure how to find which is in series and what's in parallel so I'm confused and I think my solution/working is wrong

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 21.21.28.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 21.21.28.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,519
Physics news on Phys.org
Series resistors share the same current. So start at on end and keep moving along the circuit. If you go through two resistors without going through a node (solid circle in this case), you have two resistors in series. So the 10Ω resistor and the 50 Ω resistor are not in series with anything because when you move past either one, you encounter a node.

Parallel resistors share the same voltage across them. You need to remember that straight lines in a circuit are equipotentials. Therefore the electric potential is the same along any straight line until you have to cross a circuit element (resistor, capacitor, etc) in which case there is a voltage drop or rise.

On edit: When you calculate equivalent resistances in the case, you may imagine a battery connected across the points mentioned in the problem. In that case, it may be possible that resistors 10Ω and 50Ω will be in series. I suggest that you redraw the circuit with the battery drawn in so you can see what's going on. (My thanks to @Tom.G for pointing this out.)

Last edited:
There is another unlabeled essential node. The junction of R1, R2 and R3 is a node. You could label that node "5" and calculate the various resistances between that node and all the others. Include those in the work you turn in and you could really impress your instructor. :)):wink:

Whenever you crisscross wires, like the top lead of R3 and the right lead of R4, you make it confusing to see the actual circuit. I find it easier to work with a redrawn circuit where none of the wires cross each other. like:

upload_2017-11-16_23-20-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-16_23-20-40.png
    upload_2017-11-16_23-20-40.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 720

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of opposition to the flow of electric current through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I): R = V/I.

3. What are terminals in an electrical circuit?

Terminals are the points where electrical components, such as resistors, are connected to a circuit. They are usually marked with numbers or symbols for identification.

4. Can resistance be negative?

No, resistance cannot be negative as it is a measure of opposition to current flow. However, it can have a negative value in some cases, which indicates a phase shift in the current signal.

5. How do you calculate resistance between two terminals?

To calculate resistance between two terminals, you need to know the voltage and current values at those terminals. Then, you can use Ohm's Law to determine the resistance: R = (V2 - V1)/(I2 - I1).