1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Another regulated functions question

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1

C.E

1. suppose f:[a,b]->R is a weakly increasing function, i.e. u<v gives f(u)<=f(v). Show that f is the limit of a sequence of step functions.

3. I have no idea how to start this. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    If you were to draw the graph of [tex]f[/tex] on a computer monitor, what would the picture look like?

Now buy successively better computer monitors :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. Jan 22, 2010 #3

C.E

Surely different choices of f would look different wouldn't they? How do this help?

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4
    Of course the sequence of approximating step functions will depend on the particular function [tex]f[/tex]. My hint is that you should approximate the graph of [tex]f[/tex] roughly as a computer monitor does.

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5

C.E

Sorry, but I don't know how a computer monitor would aproximate the graph of f, can you please elaborate?

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6
    Think of square pixels -- approximate the graph of [tex]f[/tex] by something you might draw using the edges of a square grid.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook