Another vector identity question

In summary, The conversation is about a person who is stuck on a vector identity question that they believe should be easy to solve but can't figure out. They are asked to use standard identities to deduce the result, and the identity they need to show is \nabla \left( {r^n } \right) = nr^{n - 2} \mathop r\limits^ \to , where r = \left\| {\mathop r\limits^ \to } \right\| and r = xi + yj + zk. The person is unsure if the (n-2) in the result is correct and is wondering how to solve it without explicitly writing out the gradient. They are also
Benny
Hi, I'm stuck another vector identity question. It's of a different kind to the other one I asked about and looks so much easier but I just can't see what I need to do.

I am told to use standard identities to deduce the following result. The standard identities being referred to are listed in my notes and as I'm sure you can appreciate, it would be a PITA to type them all out. It's just the usual list comprised of various combinations of grad, div curl, and higher dimensional equivalents of product and quotient rules.

Anyway here is the identity I need to show.

[tex]
\nabla \left( {r^n } \right) = nr^{n - 2} \mathop r\limits^ \to
[/tex]

where [itex]r = \left\| {\mathop r\limits^ \to } \right\|[/itex] and r = xi + yj + zk.

I haven't written this down but from a quick look at the relation, I would've thought that the RHS should have an (n-1) rather than an (n-2) as given. In any case, grad(r^n) looks so simple to compute that I don't see how I do it without just writing out an explicit expression for the gradient. I can't think of any identities which could help - I'm told to use identities for this question.

Any help would be good thanks.

Edit: The (n-2) is probably right now that I think about it. Anyway I'm off to sleep.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you write it with the unit vector [itex]\hat r[/itex] it's:

[tex]\nabla (r^n)=nr^{n-1}\hat r[/tex]

which ofcourse reminds you of [itex]d/dx (x^n)=nx^{n-1}[/itex], so this is, as you can guess, proved in a very similar way.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see what I can come up with.

1. What is a vector identity?

A vector identity is a mathematical equation or relationship between vectors that is always true, regardless of the values or directions of the vectors involved. These identities are important tools in vector calculus and are used to simplify and manipulate equations involving vectors.

2. What is the difference between a vector identity and a vector equation?

A vector identity is a statement that is always true, while a vector equation is a statement that is only true for specific values of the vectors involved. In other words, a vector identity is a generalization of a specific vector equation.

3. How are vector identities used in physics?

Vector identities are used in physics to solve problems involving forces, velocities, accelerations, and other vector quantities. They can also be used to derive other equations or relationships that are important in various fields of physics.

4. Can vector identities be proven?

Yes, vector identities can be proven using mathematical techniques such as vector algebra, calculus, and linear algebra. These proofs involve manipulating and simplifying equations to show that they are equivalent to the original identity.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about vector identities?

One common misconception about vector identities is that they only apply to two-dimensional vectors. In reality, vector identities are applicable to any number of dimensions and can be used to solve problems in three-dimensional space or higher dimensions.