Another, what should be simple, derivative question

• Thread starter JayDub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a function using the definition of a derivative. The person is struggling with a specific step and is seeking help. They provide their work and another person corrects their mistake. The final answer is simplified to 1/sqrt(2x+5) and the conversation also touches on other ways to find derivatives and formatting mathematical expressions.
JayDub
This is not homework but it is more practise for me. We have to find the derivative of f(x) = sqrt(2x + 5) using the definition of a derivative, I used to remember how to do this but now I am not able to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Here is what I have.

y' = lim(h -> 0) [sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)] / h

y' = (lim(h -> 0) [sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)] / h) * ([sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) + sqrt(2x + 5)] / [sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) + sqrt(2x + 5)])

y' = lim(h -> 0) [2(x + h) + 5 - (2x + 5)] / h[sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)]

y' = lim(h-> 0) [2x + 2h + 5 - 2x - 5] / h[sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)]

y' = lim(h ->0) 2h / h[sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)]

y' = lim(h->0) 2 / [sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) - sqrt(2x + 5)]

I have no idea how to format the questions to make them look nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
On line 2, you have a + in the denominator which you turn into a - in line 3. It should stay as a +, not beomce a -. You'll then be able to evaluate the limit properly, and you'll get the answer you'd expect had you used the power and chain rules.

Lol, that would just be an error here and not on my paper, as well we are learning the chain rule this week. But back to the question.

y' = lim(h->0) 2 / [sqrt(2{x + h} + 5) + sqrt(2x + 5)]

This would then be?

y' = 2 / [sqrt(2{x + 0} + 5) + sqrt(2x + 5)]

y' = 2 / [sqrt(2x + 5) + sqrt(2x + 5)]

and that would be the final answer?

Yes, that's very much correct.
The two terms in the denominator are the same, so you can simplify one bit more:

y'=1/sqrt(2x+5)

Another way to do it is to use this definition

[tex] f'(x)=:\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)}{\Delta x} [/tex].

Daniel.

Edit. OOps, you used this one, i thought you used the other. It's simpler with the other one.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity and wanting to learn about calculus... what is the other way to do it?

As well, how do you format the math to look like that?

JayDub said:
Just out of curiosity and wanting to learn about calculus... what is the other way to do it?

As well, how do you format the math to look like that?
To format the math, just click on the picture above and it will give you the source.

You can also learn the code here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

As far as calculus goes, you will learn that the derivative with respect to x of xa is a*xa-1. You can then use the rules of derivatives to find derivatives of more complicated functions.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It is often used to describe the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is a derivative calculated?

A derivative is calculated using the process of differentiation, which involves finding the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

3. What is the purpose of derivatives in science?

Derivatives are used in science to model and understand various phenomena, such as the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs, the speed of an object, and the growth rate of a population.

4. What are some real-world applications of derivatives?

Some common applications of derivatives include predicting stock market trends, optimizing production processes in manufacturing, and designing efficient transportation routes.

5. What are the limitations of using derivatives in scientific research?

Derivatives are based on mathematical models and may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios. They also require precise and accurate data, which may not always be available. Additionally, the use of derivatives assumes that the system being studied is continuous, which may not always be the case.