Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Answer Check for kinematic in 2-d

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 1.10 m from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is 0.820 m.
    (a) With what velocity did the mug leave the counter?
    correct check mark m/s
    (b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?
    wrong check mark
    Your answer differs from the correct answer by 10% to 100%.° (below the horizontal)

2. Relevant equations
    I found (a) which is 2.68 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution

For b) i used sqrt(2.68^2+2.68^) = 3.79 and did,
    theta = cos^-1(2.68/3.79) which is 45 degrees, which is wrong but since it say below the horizontal axis, will it be -315 degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    I got the same for part a but I got something different for the impact angle.

the impact creates a triangle with x velocity and y velocity at impact. x velocity is constant at 2.68 m/s and I get 4.01 m/s for y velocity. Just finish it and you should get the right answer.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    thanks alot.. now i gotta figure out why is the y velocity different .. thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook