Solving Velocity Vectors Problems: Tips & Tricks

In summary: Ok so it should be h = 2.736t + 4.9t2 and that will get me the right answer? I only have one more try so I want to be sure...h = 67.456
nevik

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor 0.90 m from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is 0.840 m.

Homework Equations

r=vot + 1/2(a)t2
Vf=Vo + at
Vf2=Vo2+2ar

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried finding time for the y component but ended up with square roots of negative numbers and I've been stuck on this for awhile. I have a lot of other problems like this so if I know how to do this one it would really help me out on the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
The time is simple.

H = 1/2*g*t2

No negative numbers involved at all.

If you know the time and how far away, then v = x/t.

Likes KristinaMr
OK thanks I was actually doing those two equations but I kept using -9.8. Never occurred to me to make it positive!

nevik said:
OK thanks I was actually doing those two equations but I kept using -9.8. Never occurred to me to make it positive!

Well you could write it formally. If 0 is the ground, and positive is up ...

0 = H + 0*t - 1/2*g*t2

Rearranging ...

H = 1/2*g*t2

If you set the top of the bar as 0 then you still have

- H = 0 + 0*t - 1/2*g*t2

yielding the same result.

Thanks for the explanation but I forgot to post the second part of the problem. The second part asks:

(b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?

I have to give the answer in ° (below the horizontal).

At first I thought it meant that the floor was the base of the angle and the angle was from where the mug hit the floor to the top of the table where it left but that angle was wrong. Other questions also ask me to give degrees against the horizontal but I'm not sure what that's talking about either.

nevik said:
Thanks for the explanation but I forgot to post the second part of the problem. The second part asks:

(b) What was the direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor?

I have to give the answer in ° (below the horizontal).

At first I thought it meant that the floor was the base of the angle and the angle was from where the mug hit the floor to the top of the table where it left but that angle was wrong. Other questions also ask me to give degrees against the horizontal but I'm not sure what that's talking about either.

You should have the horizontal velocity. Add then the vertical velocity. They are at right angles so Pythagoras gives you the magnitude and the ratio (draw a diagram and confirm) gives the angle from the tan-1.

Thanks, just one more question.

A ball is tossed from an upper-story window of a building. The ball is given an initial velocity of 8.00 m/s at an angle of 20.0° below the horizontal. It strikes the ground 4.00 s later.

(b) Find the height from which the ball was thrown.

Found the y velocity which is 2.736 and did -h = 2.736t - 4.9t2 to get 67.456 for h. Found out it was wrong and then I realized that's the height for the curve of the ball plus the building. I tried using the formula (82sin220o)/2g to get just the height of the curve and subtracting it from 67.456 but that's wrong too.

nevik said:
Found the y velocity which is 2.736 and did -h = 2.736t - 4.9t2 to get 67.456 for h.

Get your signs correct in the equation! Which way is up? Which way is down?

queenofbabes said:
Get your signs correct in the equation! Which way is up? Which way is down?

Ok so it should be h = 2.736t + 4.9t2 and that will get me the right answer? I only have one more try so I want to be sure...

nevik said:
Found the y velocity which is 2.736 ...

If you are using g as -, then 20 degrees below the horizontal is also -.

nevik said:
Ok so it should be h = 2.736t + 4.9t2 and that will get me the right answer? I only have one more try so I want to be sure...

Substituting 4 for t should yield the right answer.

1. What are velocity vectors and how are they used in problem solving?

Velocity vectors are mathematical representations of an object's motion in a particular direction. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems related to motion and forces. Vectors allow us to break down complex motions into smaller, more manageable components.

2. How do I determine the magnitude and direction of a velocity vector?

The magnitude of a velocity vector can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. The direction of a velocity vector can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What are some common tips for solving velocity vector problems?

One tip is to draw a diagram and label all known quantities, including the initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. This will help you visualize the problem and identify any missing information. Another tip is to break down the motion into separate components, such as horizontal and vertical, to make the problem more manageable.

4. How can I use vectors to solve problems involving forces?

Vectors can be used to represent forces acting on an object. By combining these vectors using vector addition and subtraction, you can determine the net force and its direction on the object. This information can then be used to calculate the resulting motion of the object.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving velocity vector problems?

One common mistake is to mix up the direction of the vector with the angle at which it is pointing. Remember that the angle of a vector is the direction it is pointing in, not the direction it is moving. Another mistake is to forget to convert between units, such as meters per second to kilometers per hour, when necessary. Lastly, always double-check your calculations and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.