Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity

In summary, the question is asking for the speed at which a mug left the counter in a local bar, which was calculated to be Vinitial=d/sqrroot(2h/g). The direction of the mug's velocity just before it hit the floor is not specified, but can be determined by breaking the movement into perpendicular components. The exact equation for Vinitial is unclear, as there are multiple formulas that could be used.
akbro93704

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor at distance d from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is h. With what speed did the mug leave the counter? Which I got Vinitial=d/sqrroot(2h/g). Now my question is what was the direction of the mugs velocity just before it hit the floor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I have to break something up into components?

Physics news on Phys.org
akbro93704 said:

Homework Statement

In a local bar, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the counter for a refill. The bartender is momentarily distracted and does not see the mug, which slides off the counter and strikes the floor at distance d from the base of the counter. The height of the counter is h. With what speed did the mug leave the counter? Which I got Vinitial=d/sqrroot(2h/g). Now my question is what was the direction of the mugs velocity just before it hit the floor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I have to break something up into components?
Splitting it into perpendicular components seems like an excellent idea :approve:.

hmmm, how did you get that equation for Vinitial? i am trying to sift through all these formulas and i just can't seem to get the correct one. :confused:

Related to Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity

1. What is the "Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity" phenomenon?

The "Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity" refers to the movement of a beer mug across a counter in the opposite direction of the mug's velocity. In other words, the mug moves away from the person who pushed it, instead of towards them.

2. Why does the beer mug move in the opposite direction of its velocity?

This phenomenon occurs due to the conservation of momentum. When a person pushes a beer mug across a counter, they apply a force to it, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force. However, the counter exerts an equal and opposite force on the mug, resulting in a change in its velocity in the opposite direction.

3. What factors affect the "Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity"?

The main factor that affects this phenomenon is the friction between the mug and the counter. If there is a high level of friction, the mug is less likely to move in the opposite direction of its velocity. Other factors such as the shape and weight of the mug can also play a role.

4. Can the "Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity" be observed in other liquids besides beer?

Yes, this phenomenon can occur in any liquid as long as there is a difference in velocity between the liquid and the container it is in. However, it may be more noticeable in beer due to its foamy texture and the carbon dioxide bubbles present.

5. Are there any practical applications of the "Beer mug across counter direction of mugs velocity"?

While this phenomenon may seem like a simple concept, it has been studied by scientists to better understand the principles of physics, such as momentum and friction. It also has practical applications in industries such as fluid dynamics and material science, where the behavior of liquids and their interactions with different surfaces are important to consider.